True Image Echo Management Console Backwards Compatiblity

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bhartung, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhartung

bhartung Registered Member

I installed Acronis True Image Management Console® (build 8,01:cool: that came with True Image Echo. Currently most of the PCs on my network have Acronis True Image Workstation® version 9.1 (build 3,887) installed.

I tried to access about 10 different PCs through the Management Console and got the error message...

"Failed to find protocols required for connection with remote agent. Make sure that all necessary components are installed on the selected computer."​

Please don't tell me that there is no backwards compatiblity! AARRGH! So far the only way I've been able to connect was to install the new version.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bhartung,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that all installed components (including Acronis agents) need to be the same build in order to interact properly. We recommend you to use the latest build (8039) of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. bhartung

Doesn't that defeat one of the purposes of the Management Console, namely installing software updates on remote computers?

Additionally, I have dozens of users that I have to update in 3 different facilities. The updating process normally takes weeks due to a variety of circumstances. Not having the ability to deal with systems at different software revision levels is a serious problem for me.

Are you sure this is how things are supposed to work?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bhartung,

Please notice that Acronis Management Console allows you to update components remotely as well. Please see chapter 4 "Using Acronis True Image Management Console" of the respective User's Guide for detailed instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. bhartung

Let's approach this from a different angle...

All our workstations have Acronis True Image Workstation version 9.1 (build 3,887) installed currently. I've downloaded Acronis True Image Echo Workstation (build 8,01:cool: and want to install it on all our workstations.

I installed Echo on my own PC first; the workstation, agent and management console. I now want to install the new version on other workstations but any workstation I try to connect to results in the error message...

"PROTOCOLS WERE NOT FOUND. Failed to find protocols required for connection with remote agent. Make sure that all necessary components are installed on the selected computer."​

So in this situation, I can go no further with updates.

Am I just not understanding the update process. One thing that occurs to me is that maybe you don't want to update the PC that will be used to install the updates from. Is that the case? Should you extract the *.msi files from the new version but install them from the management console at the older revision level?

6. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Well yea this issue pissed us off too. It's confirmed that 9.1 mgt console is no compatible with Echo (9.5) because the newer version said that it is now using encrypted protocols to interact with each other. So in short you will have to use two mgt consoles 9.1 and Echo depending on which agent versions you will be connecting to. Wise move would be to group the 9.1s and Echos.

Looks like a logical thing to do. You can find the agent installers from: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\RemoteInstall, its the file that has the word agent in it.

I would share that file on a network. and then connect to the 9.1s using the 9.1 mgt console and then once your in; run the update agent wizard and instead of getting the installer from 'registered components' goto the 3rd option which is browse and goto to your network share which contains the remote agent installation msi (which you shared earlier).

haven't tried it but IMO logically it should work.

7. bhartung

Thanks, I appreciate knowing it's not just me doing something wrong.

I find it difficult to understand why Mr. Setdikov is not aware of this problem.

[RANT]
    This is one of the things that I find annoying about Acronis. The developers know that this kind of change will create problems but rather than issue an upfront bulletin explaining the problem and a recommended work-around, they just release the new version and let end users struggle with it.

In general, Acronis has mediocre documentation that leaves important steps out. Good example of that is updating workstations. The step where you register components is very confusing. If you don't already know that you have to, ahead of time, manually extract the needed *.msi files from the installation file, you flounder.
    [/RANT]

8. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

That or install echo mgt console temporarily on another pc to get the .msi

I feel you. Been there. Done that. :argh:

btw There is a knowledge base created by Acronis: Click Me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.