True Image disables local network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cezanne, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cezanne

cezanne Registered Member

After installing True Image 8.0 on my XP machine, which seems OK, my collegue, who I share a local network with, is no longer able to access my files (my computer is server).
    I had to go to a system reset point in order to make things working again. It seems that True Images changes something on my computer with the result that my computeris no longer available to my collegue.
    I will now again go back in history (system). Meanwhile I hope someone comes up with the solution.
    Also surprised I could not find this issue in the threats...
    Help would be appreciated very much!

2. jeff54481

jeff54481 Registered Member

Just thought I'd let you know you weren't alone :)
    Just got done uninstalling trueimage8 because my home network drives became unavailable.
    Main issue was (our home network is 5 boxes, all but 1 win 98se) when trying to access a shared logical drive (on the XP box w/ trueimage installed) from one of the 98 boxes, I would get a "not enough memory" error. Other shares were fine on other computers. This never happened before. Tried everything to eliminate the error, including moving and reloading Lan drivers. No help. Couldn't access a shared printer either. Odd thing was I could access a CD in a shared CDRW drive on the same XP box :eek: So I went to the XP box and tried to access the share though Network:entire network ect. and got the (albeit more lengthy) errror message. Direct access through My Computer was fine.
    Uninstalled true image and all was well again :D all shares accessable,printer too!!
    Very odd behavior.
    Was using the downloaded trial version (had planned on getting 1 copy for me, one for work but not now). Any answers?

3. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

And once again:

Save this code as fix.reg and then run the file on the machines that are not able to share: (not the ones trying to see the share)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
    "IRPStackSize"=dword:00000012

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, beenthereb4

Your the man again bb4. ;)

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. jeff54481

Thanks beenthereb4. Found your download as well.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47080
    Not real impressed w/ the "official" response from Acronis in that thread.
    :D
    Is this something their going to fix??
    No sense having a clean GUI and having to do manual registry patches.
    May give it a try after all.

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Good work to do your research! It's unlikely that they will fix this as it only affects a very small number of users and is caused by "the user", so to speak. In order to have this problem, the user has to have installed something that affects sharing (other than TrueImage) or created an unusually large number of shared drives. 99.9 % of users will never have this problem.

As to the answer by TI support, the computer field has gotten so complex that none of us can know every answer off the top (or even the bottom) of our heads. Google is our best friend!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. jeff54481

Here here!! Best support is collective support. Don't know what I would do w/out the internet and areas like this.
    Programs and whats the term, spagetti code, has gotten to the point where even the creators can be baffled.
    Does anyone really understand Windozeo_O
    As to the shares, I didn't think we had that many and who knows what program is in there mucking things up. Glad it was an easy fix though. Will give it a try at work.
    Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.