True Image Can't Find Any Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Menorcaman, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I've just had reason to carry out a "Repair" reinstall of my Windows XP Home SP2 installation. Created a TI image just in case, then booted from my Windows XP SP1a CD and carried out the repair install - no problem.

Prior to applying SP2, I tried to create a TI image from within Windows but on starting TI I received an error message advising that TI couldn't find any hard drives. Uninstalled TI 8 build 774, purged the Registry and reinstalled TI. Still the same problem - TI couldn't find my hard drives, even though both of them were visible to Windows.

Used the TI boot rescue CD to restore the good image and repeated the above procedures. Again, I ended up with TI unable to find the HDs.

I'll try and bottom this if I can but in the meantime, has anyone else carried out a Repair reinstall of a Windows XP SP2 installation? Did TI susequently work o.k. or was it broken?

Regards

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Menorcaman,

The reason for such error message is that Windows "Repair" reinstallation roll the hard disk drivers back to the initial state. But this is really strange that Acronis True Image reinstallation doesn't fix the problem.

Please install the below file with disabled logging and see whether the problem persists.

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SnapAPI_s_e.exe

If the problem does persist, please enable logging by running the update once more, reproduce the program failure and send the c:\snapapi.log file to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.

3. Menorcaman

Hello Andrew

I'm not sure why a Windows XP SP1a/SP2 "repair" reinstall prevented TI seeing any of my hard drives when attempting to create an image from within Windows mode. However, I suspect corruption of the TI Registry entries as the most likey culprit.

To me a more worrying aspect is that a normal TI uninstall/reinstall didn't fix the problem. It's clear that after uninstalling TI a number of files and Registry entries remain on the system. Certain of these left over files/Registry entries seem to prevent TI carrying out a full reinstallation. This was proved by deleting all remaing TI files/Reg entries using a "Total Uninstall" log file as detailed in my post <here>, prior to carrying out a successful reinstall of TI.

Is there any reason why your Development Team can't ensure complete removal of all TI files and Registry entries when carrying out an uninstall? If this isn't possible, due to a need to retain certain common files/reg entries, then surely the TI reinstall routines can be made to proceed as if it were a first-time installation?

Regards

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Menorcaman,

First of all, I'm really glad to hear that you have resolved this issue.

I have contacted the Acronis True Image product manager and he promised to clarify the situation and also I will post a manual uninstall instructions soon.

Thank you.

5. Menorcaman

Hello Andrew

Many thanks. I'm sure the manual uninstall instructions will be appreciated by a number of us.

Regards

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.