True Image (CAN NOT Backup to DVD\CD)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Earthman, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthman

Earthman Registered Member

The GREAT City Of MADISON Wisc. Home of the univer
    Hello,
    I hope you read this in good and/or normal health.. My situation is I've owned every version of True Image since Version 7. I now have True Image 11 Home. I can not figure out how to make a successful backup to Removable Media IE: DVD\CD\DVD-DL I've made about 3 successfully Removable media backups in the last 4-5 years using 5 different versions of T.I.

I own, and have owned at least 4 PC's at any given time with different version of Windows and good quality Disk Burners IE: Sony-HP-Panasonic, everything is always up to date. My PC's are of fair quality. I use good quality Disks and the right kind of disk. I can't find much info in the owners manuals. I was told I need to format the disks so I did that to no avail.

It's always the same response, I start the program, put in the first disk, a few (25) seconds go by the disk gets kicked out and it says hit "Retry" or "Cancel" in which case I hit "retry"' about 20 times. It also says the (device is busy) while i'm hitting the retry. Once in completely random order and seldom, I'll hit Retry a few times and the diaolog box will change and have a "Format Option" on it. That will usually work for that one disk. When it comes time for the second disk, the (kick out the disk scenerio repeats) and 99.8% I'll hit "Retry 30+ times and the format option will not show up. If I put an unformatted disk in at first (or anytime) the format option doesn't come up. In my experience I've seen the format option display on a completely random basis, in the last four years i've seen it show itself about no more than 10-13 times at completely random times.

Even when I use all preformatted disks, the same 20 second kick out (Retry happens). I'm MAD and Humble at the same time. I've talked to Acronis to really no avail. You would think that Acronis would of long ago perfected the process to Burn Backups to Removable Disks, but I can't seem to find the MAGIC word. I've spent alot of money on True Image and think it would be of spelled out word for word in the manuals, exactly how to accomplish this task.

Please, Please help if you have some answers, maybe I might have some answers for you.

Thanks, Earthman

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Disable InCD or GoBack if you have them running. Or when you put the blank media in, leave the tray open. The process will close it.

3. Earthman

Thanks a lot!!!! I have neither Go Back or INCD installed and I the problem happens whether I have the tray open or closed when starting the Backup. Hey, though, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE SUGGESTION !!!!!
    I've reproduced the problem on at least 9 different PC's in the past 4 or 5 years with all kinds of different programs and system setups and it has happened in True Image versions 7,8,9,10 and 11.
    Feel free to offer any other ideas that might come into your thought process.
    Earthman

4. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I have had similar problems as you. I gave up long ago trying to back up directly to DVD.

Now I create multiple image files in a folder on a separate disk partition. Then I use Nero software to burn the images to DVD. As mentioned in other threads, I set the images to be 1,492 MB in size, so they fit nicely on single or dual layer DVD media.

5. Earthman

Rick,
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. I tried that the other day and the backup took 2 DVD. When I burned the files to the DVD, I than used T.I. to try to Restore the DVD. I put the disk in and no response, nothing. I put the other one in, same thing no response, the (*.TIB) backup files didn't even show up in the DVD drive I tried to use to do the Restore. The disks showed that they had about what would of been the size of the disk I backed up.

I will add though that I set the size for around 3.8Gig for a formatted DVD. In your reply to me you said you set the size for a dual layer at 1.o_O?? Gigs. Why only 1.o_O? Gig when a dual layer will hold around 7-8Gig's formatted?

Do you format the disks before you burn them? If so how, (what program and format do you use?)

I have both Nero and Roxio. The DVD's that didn't work as mentioned earlier, I just used Vista to format and Burn them. One more question, how do you know which is the first and last Disks in the archive besides labeling them right after the burn. Which Disk do you put in first to do a restore the first or last?

I think it prompts you if you don't have the right disk in. I hope I don't come across as dumb, because when it comes to PC's even the best scratch thier heads sometimes. Hey you take care and looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks Again,

Earthman

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The 1492MB size allows 3 files to fit nicely on a standard DVD and use the ISO file system rather than the UDF system. The ISO system is moe compatible across various operating systems and some consider it more reliable. In practice, TI can read either ISO or UDF with the Linux environment or Windows.

7. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

To restore from a DVD, you would have to tell Acronis where the files are located. You would have to browse to your DVD drive from within Acronis, as shown in the attached image.

I use 1,492 MB for the image size. For a single layer DVD, you can fit 3 image files of that size (3*1,492 MB < 4.77 GB). For a dual layer DVD, you can fit 5 image files of that size (5*1,492 MB < 9.54 GB).

No, I don't format the discs first. I use Nero, and it knows what to do with the blank DVD disc before it writes the data.

Don't bother with the default disc burning software that comes built into Windows - it is pretty flakey. Nero is not perfect, but it seems rock solid by comparison. :cool:

I always write documentation on each disk immediately after I create it:
    Computer Name / Acronis TI Image file / Disc x of y / month-day-year

When you restore a backup, I think it asks for the first and the last disk. I have not restored from DVD for about a year, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Don't worry. the only way you learn is by asking questions!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.