True Image and Hard drive compatibility..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fdx, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdx

fdx Registered Member

I was told that there might be a compatibility issue with Acronis True image 9.0 and a certain Western Digital external hard drive.
    I want to use the true image software with a Western Digital 320 gb my book premium external drive (WDG1C3200N).
    Can any one tell me if this will be ok, and any other advice needed to make a clone of my hard drive using this software
    and hard drive via USB2...
    Also has anyone had any problems making an EXACT clone of your hard drive using this software via USB2 instead of mounting a second internal drive inside the computer. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    John

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi John

1. Western Digital. If you are concerned then you need to get confirmation from both Western Digital and Acronis that the disk is compatible. If there is a compatibility issue then either WD or Acronis should be able to resolve the issue with an updated driver.

2. Clone. Acronis ALWAYS strongly recommend that you do not create a clone between an Internal and USB. The recommendation is always that the disks should both be Internal. Because cloning is a different process to imaging it does make sense that both disks should be connected directly to the MOBO and not have the additional overhead of USB. Imaging to a USB usually works perfectly.

3. Racks. If you want the convenience of an external disk but the assurance of an internal disk then you may consider a Removeable Rack & Cartridge or simply a Caddie Rack as being a good solution.

3. fatray

fatray Registered Member

I have tried to back up to my WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive. I boot into True Images's boot loader, when TI gets to checking My Book it just freezes. I left for an hour and it was still checking drive E (my book firewire).
    It sucks the whole reason I purchesed the WD MB was for back up my hard drive image.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi fatray,

Could you clarify...
    True Image does not include a boot loader. Are you perhaps referring to Acronis Disk Director? OR Are you referring to the TI boot CD which boots into a Linux shell?

If you can clarify how you are booting it will be easier to try and provide a solution.

5. fatray

fatray Registered Member

I press F11 when booting.

6. hlr

hlr Registered Member

Problem cloning to WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive.

I have also tried to back up from my C: drive to my WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive using the Automatic cloning selection. It goes through all the cloning process then when I get the drop down button selection to Restart the computer, all of a sudden an error message pops up which says, "Operation Has Been Cancelled" and then the system reboots. Upon system restart nothing has been cloned from my C: drive to my WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive.

HELP!!!

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I agree with #3. I have HDD drawers. One of the smartest things I've done hardware wise. Course I use AME not ATI.:D

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Reply to fatray,

OK, you press F11 when booting. That will take you to an options menu. What option do you choose? Also... I am trying to understand why you are pressing F11, won't the PC boot normally?

================================

Reply to hlr,

Why are you trying to clone your C: drive to your WD My Book 500? I don't know what you are trying to achieve but whatever it is this sounds like the wrong option. In your next post tell us exactly what you want to do then we can provide you with the best way to achieve it.

================================

9. fatray

fatray Registered Member

I don't have to press F11 when booting, PC boots just fine with no interaction from me. When I press F11 and go into the Acronis Linux (or what ever mode don't explain it to me), I feel this is the best bet to get a perfect copy of my main Windows drive (that's on another of my threads). It detects my C, D, and E drive and checks them when I go into the select drive to copy selection. E is the MY Book firewire drive, C is my RAID 0 (2x WD RAPTOR drives on my ASUS A8NSLI-Deluxe Nvidia RAID) and D is a 400mb SATA drive. It checks C then D then freezes halfway through E. I unplug E from the firewire port and program goes along it's merry way after some warning messages. Tried it 3 times, it just wont processes the firewire drive with the longest I waited was around an hour rebooting each try. Inside Windows XP, ATI detects the firewire drive just fine.

10. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

The most likely cause for such behaviour is that the Acronis Linux shell does not have a driver that is compatible with your "My Book" drive.

Suggest that you raise a support call with Acronis Support. Provide them with the exact specification of your drive and they will try to source a driver for you.

You must appreciate that the Linux shell is only a subset of Linux and not a full operating system. As such it provides for the most common configurations as standard. However, Acronis Support will always provide hardware-specific drivers if they are available.

11. fatray

fatray Registered Member

Excellent, thanks for the help.

12. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

The WD My Book is a popular piece of kit. Therefore, in the interests of helping others with a similar problem, it would be great if you could come back to this Forum when you have resolved the issue (or not as the case may be).

:D

13. hlr

hlr Registered Member

hlr responding to Tabvla regarding my wanting to clone to the WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive.

Tabvla asked me the question, "Why are you trying to clone your C: drive to your WD My Book 500?"

My answer is that I am trying to backup my C: drive on my computer. And by backup I don't mean to create some archive type files or zip files. I want to see in my backup exactly the same directory structure I see when I look at my C: drive. That is, I want an exact virtual disk image for my backup.

Call it clone, schmone, bone, I don't care. I just want to backup my C: drive without having to first take a course in Rocket Science 101 at Yale. I can't afford the time for that because it would interfere with my AA meetings and hanging out in bars.

Any help would be appreciated. I can be contacted directly at Raper@Raper.com

Thanks to anyone who can help.

14. hlr

hlr Registered Member

WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive cloning problem

hlr responding to Tabvla regarding my wanting to clone to the WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive. My original complaint was as follows:

I tried to back up from my C: drive to my WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive using the Automatic cloning selection. It goes through all the cloning process then when I get the drop down button selection to Restart the computer, all of a sudden an error message pops up which says, "Operation Has Been Cancelled" and then the system reboots. Upon system restart nothing has been cloned from my C: drive to my WD My Book 500 gig firewire drive.

Tabvla asked me the question, "Why are you trying to clone your C: drive to your WD My Book 500?" Please note that I also tried to clone to an internal 400 gig drive and had the same problem and error message.

I am trying to backup my C: drive on my computer. And by backup I don't mean to create some archive type files or zip files. I want to see in my backup with exactly the same directory structure I see when I look at my C: drive.

I hope I don't have to first take a course in Rocket Science 101 at Yale. That would interfere with attending my AA meetings and hanging out in bars.

Any help would be appreciated. I can be contacted directly at Raper@Raper.com

Thanks to anyone who can help.

15. TryBackup

TryBackup Registered Member

I too have a Western Digital My Book external hard drive. Mine is a 250GB. I am not familiar with backups and have never had an external hard drive before. What I know now has all come from this forum over the past couple of weeks.

Maybe this is typical of all other external drives, maybe not. What I noticed is that my My Book has what Western Digital calls a Button Manager. From my trial and error, I believe that this Button Manager is crucial to the recognition of the external drive by my computer. Even when connecting to the USB port, if I do not wait until windows and the drive's power is completely up, if I connect the USB wire too soon, the Button Manager does not load and the drive is not recognized.

I did my first backup today while in windows, which seems to have gone smoothly. I connected the My Book external so that it was recognized by my PC and the WD Button Manager. Then when I went into TI (through the desktop link), TI showed the My Book external as an available backup destination and the backup went fine.

Prior to this successful windows-based back, I booted from the TI rescue DVD (which I created through TI's utility), I selected the Full Version. Then after 1-2 minutes of looking at the TI splash screen, the TI program window opened. I selected the options for a backup, but TI did not provide the MY Book external as a backup destination.

Since the WD Button Manager seems to be something other than a driver (WD provided a separate file with the firewire driver), I am thinking that the Button Manager does not get loaded when I boot from the TI rescue disk.

The external drive on several occassions, when it did not get recognized by the PC, did not allow me to turn it off from the front button. Maybe the loading of the Button Manager program (which is different than the firewire driver, so maybe it is also different than the USB driver), is necessary and is not happening when booting from the TI rescue disk.

It appears that at this point I will not be able to backup to or restore from the WD My Book when booting from the TI rescue disk until this issue is resolved. I assume this means that I will not be able to recover from the external drive if I can not boot into windows. Am I right? Ohh boy!!

Just my thoughts, I know very little about this. I wanted to write just in case something I noticed is important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.