True image and BartPe

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dmarley, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarley

dmarley Registered Member

Hi, my first post so excuse me if i am asking a bit of a stupid question.

I have used Bartpe etc for quite a while so i am happy using and creating with it. However i seem to have some strange problems when adding Acronis True image workstation. Now building the pe image is fine, no issues etc. When i boot up using the pe disk, acronis true image workstation works fine. I choose the correct partition / disk i want to image and then choose the correct destination. However when i click on the proceed button all i ever see is the square box with the words preparing, the progess bars always stay white and they never have anything in them. It just says " preparing " and thats it. I have just left a machine all night and its still stuck on the word preparing.

I am using build 3,633 version 9.

Has anyone ever seen this issue before, any advise etc..

thanks

dave

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Are you using the Acronis supplied Plugin thats included in the installation file? I'm using Mustang's plugin and it works just fine for me. Its available at: http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/.
    I've never used the Acronis plugin.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dmarley,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall build 3633 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3666.

Please also check each partition of both source and destination hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Then please re-create Bart PE based CD, boot your computer from the newly created disc, try to create an image once more and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists after installing the update and checking the hard drives then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Where do you try to save the resulting image to?

- Are you able to create an image under the same conditions when the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation is running from under Windows?

- Are you able to create an image under the same conditions when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation embedded Bootable Rescue Media Builder?

- Are you able to create an image saving it to any other location?

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the report.txt file and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The ATI linux boot CD works for me but I was curious aned tried to build a BartPE CD with ATI.

I couldn't get the Acronis plugin to enable under PEBuilder so I used Mustang's and that worked.

I actually spent several hours with Reatogo, PEbuilder, and UBCD4Win, one wouldn't boot when I finally got the Acronis plugin, one wouldn't see any HDDs, and one generates a hardware conflict BSOD, respsectively.

Gave me a whole new appreciation for the ATI linux boot CD that's created with just a couple of clicks, boots very rapidly (campared to BartPE) and has worked onall for machines I've tried it on (sometimes needing the F11 switich).

Reatogo is the definitely the easiest of the three to use and can, at least in some circumstances build drivers like the ones you are using under windows. But none of these is for the faint of heart or those without an evening to kill doing research onthe web, web forums, and fiddling with drivers, plug-ins, and burning CDs that disappoint.

I know this stuff works very well on some machines, but out of my 4, it only worked sort of well on 1.

Like they say, computers are so complicated (and nonstandardised), no one knows how they work anymore. Some get more right than others, but no one gets it all right.

5. thomasjk

Well, I've built all three using (Reatgo, BartPe, and UBCD4WIN) and all three work for me, no muss, no fuss. The ATI CD will only work in Safe mode on my desktop so I personally prefer the BartPE approach. I can't see any USB devices in safe mode on that machine. I used the Reatgo CD to clone a new drive in my desktop and I've used UBCD4WIN to make images mostly as a test. BartPE works well with external USB hard drives because the windows drivers perform better than the Linux versions.
    The current version of UBCD4WIN V3.0 comes with a large number of windows for Network and Mass storage drivers built in. YMMV.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It would have to be easy on some machines or only the nerdiest of us would bother with it.

I downloaded the latest UBCD4Win yesterday and that's what BSODed my PC. No easy way to change drivers with that. I have a diff set of drivers for PEbuilder that I'll try tonight.

And I'll give Reatogo one more go. But there's a steep learning curve here and it's time consuming. It's to the point where I'd pay someone else to do this for me. Wait a minute, I did, I paid Acronis ;-)

7. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

I don't discount your experience. But I will add that mine was considerably different. I'm not a computer nerd by any stretch and yet both the plain vanilla BartPE and Reatogo built and burned a flawless boot CD on my first attempt. Reatogo is certainly more automated and each time I've built from it has been a resounding success. Total elapsed time on each occasion has been about an hour. I will give you that at first glance the whole process can appear a little intimidating. But once you decide to proceed, you will see that it's not that difficult. As always, YMMV. Personally, I think Reatogo (and indirectly BartPE) is the neatest thing since sliced bread. But that's me.

8. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have used the Mustang BartPe with TI Workstation 3666 using Reatogo to restore the same machine with no problems. However, when I use it with Universal Restore to another machine, it will not boot after the restore.

When I use the Acronis disk to do the same thing, it works with no problems.

I have told Mustang about this, but he insists I am doing something wrong. I don't think so. I wish he would look into this matter as the restore is much faster using the Windows USB drivers.

9. thomasjk

If your having a drive issue with UBCD4WIN post it at: http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/. The folks there are very good with helping sort out your problems. There a lot of issues with some of the Nforce drivers. You can also add your own drivers to the included ones.

Shieber: Look here for autohelp driver plugins for Reatgo: http://www.reatogo.de/Reatogo_autoHelp_Plugins.htm in the 300 section.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  10. thomasjk

Have you tried the Acronis plugin? It comes with the release.

11. mustang

mustang Developer

silver0066,

I'm sorry you got the impression I said you did something wrong. What I was trying to say was that I have looked into it and there is nothing else I can do. You need to realize you are running two different programs when you run a Universal Restore from the Linux Recovery CD and from BartPE. Under BartPE you are running the Windows version of TrueImage.exe. It should not be surprising that you can find hardware that will yeild different results from these two different programs. Just remember Acronis wrote both version of the program. All I can do in a BartPE plugin is try to make the Windows version run the same under BartPE as it does under nowmal Windows. This is not always easy as BartPE is lacking some of the finer points of Windows. In the case of True Image, it was very difficult.

Solutions to some of the problems with True Image have been contributed by other users. You can see this by reading the inf file. It has been a collective effort to get the TI9 plugin working as well as it does. If you are able to see something I missed with respect to Universal Restore, it would be greatly appreciated. You need to monitor the registry for changes when you install Universal Restore. Do some research on programs that do this. Maybe you will use a different program and find something I missed.

Best of luck,
    mustang

12. silver0066

The Acronis BartPE does not include Universal Restore....

13. silver0066

Mustang,

I do appreciate your efforts and use your plug in for normal restores. I just do not have time to check into the Universal Restore problem further. I will use the Acronis Disk even though it takes more time as I don't need to use Universal Restore that often.

Thanks for all of the work you have put in to get the BartPe version up and running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.