True Image 9 wont recover encrypted archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jcsmith, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcsmith

jcsmith Registered Member

True Image has worked perfectly in all previous attempts, but now I have an archive that contains approximately 7 GB of encrypted files that True Image backs up Ok, but it always fails on the recovery try.

It handles the unencrypted files perfectly. It passes the "checking archives" and it creates the image of the encrypted archive without a problem. But at the very end of the recover process, it fails with a message stating the file is corrupt. I have repeated the creation of the image several times but always with the same failure on recover.

What should I be doing differently with an encrypted archive or is this a problem with Acronis True Image?
    jcsmith

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

What version of TI are you using? How did you backup the files? Hard drive, external drive, CD.

3. jcsmith

Hi Tom:

Sorry I left out some essentials.

I am using ATI Home, 9.0,

All my files are on a SATA drive. That is part of my problem---I want to be sure I can recover the imaged files before I commit them to a DVD. (The 7+ MB image is split to make the process easier.)

Thanks for your interest.
    jc

4. jcsmith

Sorry, obvious mistake in my reply. 7 MB should be 7 GB (ie. gigabytes)

5. thomasjk

What specific build of TI 9.0 are you using? Go to Help--->About and tell us the build number reported and we can try to help you further. The latest build is 3677. If you're not using this download it and uninstall the old build and install 3677. Make a new rescue CD with the latest version and try again. The 2XXX versions of TI 9.0 Home were very buggy.

6. BUGabundo

BUGabundo Registered Member

I have similar troubles with v9.0 Build 2277, when accessing NTFS EFS encript files

7. thomasjk

You need to download B3677 and try that one. The 2XXX series had numerous bugs.

8. BUGabundo

but does build 3xxxx work with previous made images??

9. thomasjk

Yes, BTW you now have 2 threads going on this issue.

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is almost certainly best to uninstall you old version before installing 3677. Use Add Remove Programs in Windows.

11. BUGabundo

2 threads

the other was here first, but noone awnser it...
    So I hijack this one from smith.
    I'll delete the other

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: 2 threads

Hello jcsmith and BUGabundo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please do as thomasjk has suggested and install the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3677.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please create new backup after installing the update, try to restore this backup and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, please provide us with the following information:

- What exactly do you mean by "encrypted files"?

- What type of data encryption do you use?

- If it is a third-party software, let us know it's exact version name and build number;

- Does the problem appear when you try to restore encrypted files\folders from both disk\partition images and file-based backups?

- Describe the way you restore these files\folders in more details;

- Does the problem appear both when you restore encrypted files\folders using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from within Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the error message that you receive;

- Let us know when you receive this error message exactly;

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Reproduce the problem (initialize encrypted files\folders restoration from within Windows) and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Then please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  13. BUGabundo

Re: 2 threads

No problem.

I followed the sugestion an got an updated version

files and folders encrypted by windows XP ntfs

its ntfs 3.1 efs 2.4

M$FT Windows XP Pro english with the last updates

it happens on a file-based backup

Only tried under windows, not by the Rescue CD, since all I needed as a few files.

M$FT Windows XP Pro

Thank you. The problem is now solved.
    There is one more file that I need to recover, but I dont have the x.509 cert for it... maybe on day, i'll mount the all image again on some kind of vmw machine, and get the file

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.