True Image 9 out - problems browsing file only backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CarolHaynes, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolHaynes

CarolHaynes Registered Member

I have just downloaded TI9.0 and installed it.

I can create and restore backups with the new file backup wizard but I can't "Plug" in the images created to browse them, and I can't find any other way to access the individual files.

Has anyone else tried this yet? Is it a bug or by design?

Either way file backup without the ability to restore individual files is pretty pointless.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hmm, I had the same problem. Thought it was me. Ironically, I was able to retrieve files from the full image.

3. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Sounds like your testing the beta version for them to me...

4. CarolHaynes

I am using the version that was sent to me by email by Acronis.

I have only just purchased version 8 (less than a week ago) so I was sent a free upgrade. The version I downloaded is 9.0 build 2245.

Could someone confirm whether I have the correct version.

Thanks.

5. CarolHaynes

A further issue with file backups has happened here.

During a recover of the file you have the option to select the files you want to restore.

I have tested this with a small backup (a nested folder with 10 small files).

If I restore the whole backup it works fine.

If I select individual files to restore it fails. It logs an error that "there is nothing to restore"

I am RAPIDLY losing confidence in version 9 - has any beta testing actually happened with this software or are customers being used as Beta testers?

Anyone from Acronis like to comment on this problem (and the other thread I posted) o_O

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

:eek: Yikes !

Thanks for posting, Carol !

Yours was the one that "broke the camel's back" for me after reading about a dozen posts on TI9 experiences.

I was all ready to jump on the upgrade but now I believe I shall put my wallet away and continue watching for the time being. :doubt:

I don't mean to disparage Acronis' efforts but: If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

7. CarolHaynes

Just got an email from technical support. It says a new build is available and to go to my download area to get it.

Of course when I get there no version 9 updates are listed !!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CarolHaynes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create screen shots of you actions when you try to restore the individual files and a screen shot of the error message and send all the information to support@acronis.com along with the link to your post (#5) or with the detailed description of your problem? Also please provide us with the more detailed information about the issue. What OS do you run? Did you try to restore the individual file from an image of the partition? Where did you try to restore it to? This will alow us to investigate your problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

9. CarolHaynes

I have already received a response from the support helpline which was to install the latest build (2247) but as I said above it has not appeared in my updates section o_O

I have downloaded my original file (from the registered products page) and it is the updated version. I am about to install the update and will post back if the problem is not resolved.

10. GPS2003

GPS2003 Registered Member

I have exactly the same problems as Carol.

1. Performing File Backup (only several directories)
    2. Recovery of the whole backup works fine !
    3. Recovery of individual selected files is not possible. I receive the
    error message: "There is nothing to restore"

My TrueImage 9.0 Build is 2247.

11. CarolHaynes

OK - here is the sequence - after choosing recover and chooing the file only image:

Attached Files:

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CarolHaynes,

Please note that you can download the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 (2247): My account -> Registered Products -> Acronis True Image 9.0 -> Download installation file, then install the new build. After that please see whether the problem remains.

If it doesn't help please contact us via e-mail (support@acronis.com) because this way gives you much more opportunities to get diagnostic info that our Development Team needs to help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

13. GPS2003

GPS2003 Registered Member

As I mentioned above, I used this Build 2247 and I run into the same problem

14. CarolHaynes

Ditto ... can't see any difference in the new build - and yes I have email support too.

15. CarolHaynes

Anyone else suffering with this ? Any further help available ?

16. jwykoff

jwykoff Guest

Yes, I am having the same exact problem. AND, I am very unhappy about beta testing the program for them.
    I purchased what I thought was a fully functional product.
    Not so.
    They are going to give me my money back if they don't resolve this soon.
    I am well within my 30 days

17. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

I can't believe they've released v9.0 in this state with obvious lack of testing :(

18. Anon

Anon Guest

I agree.

I am rather disappointed that Acronis tout their new "file backup system" when it doesn't work.

Using the latest version, build 2247 so please do not reply: "please download the latest version".

The problem I am having is that I can't even plug my (verified twice) file/folders only backup image. I get to the backup archive exploring page. Select the image - click 'next'. Nothing happens. Nothing. The screen remains the same and clicking next doesn't work.

No screenshots - I cannot be bothered spending 5 minutes uploading them when it occurs on the 2nd window from the plug image wizard.

Original Full-image (plug/explore/backup) works fine. As far as I'm concerned with the 2nd function of Acronis, I'll just backup my files/folders by copying them over using Windows file explorer rather than waste my time with Acronis.

I paid for this program.

19. Anon

Anon Guest

To summarise - all I want to do is to be able to "plug" or mount my File/Folder archive images and be able to browse them like I can a full-partition image.

I can't do that because the wizard won't proceed and mount the darn thing. I'll stick with using Nero DVD-image writer and mounting in Alcohol120 for specific My Document folders until Acronis fix this.

20. beetle

beetle Guest

I was also experiencing the "nothing to restore" problem. The failing test case that I had (a single file restore to a new location from a partial folder backup) worked after installing build 2259.

21. CarolHaynes

I had a message back from support saying the File Backups will never be plugable ...

Don't suppose it is possible to know why? Since it is your own proprietary format surely the backups could be produced in a form that allowed mounting?

If not why are they given the same file type - just to cause confusion o_O

22. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Reason you can't mount the file backup is it is not a complete partition. The newer versions give a warning banner that stated the same. With the latest version xxxx2270 I could click on restore and then select the files I wanted to restore. I chose a different location and it did restore some text files and one folder. So it does work, but you can't mount it, or 'plug' it, because it is not a complete partition.

I reported a bug or two in this latest version, but they are minor...but still errors in the database of the program.

Allen

23. CarolHaynes

I know thatis the reason, but it should not be unsurmountable for the development team. If necessary they could include a simple browsing window for file archives which allows individual files and folders to be dragged out.

Yes I finally managed to restore individual files & subsets of files from file backups but there is still a bug!

Try this:

Backup a small folder (say 4 or 5 small files)
    Restore a single file to an alternative location
    Restore a second file to the same location

The first file is restored OK but the second fails because the program tries to recreate the folder structure and doesn't like the fact that it already exists.

This type of restore works fine to the original location, surely the restore to a n alternative location should work in the smae way, or at least give a warning that a file exists and ask do you want to replace it?? You shouldn't have to wipe the entire folder structure to restore a single file! It also means you can't rebuild a folder structure from more than one version of a backup archive!!

What bugs have you found?

I am still getting "task is corrupted" sometimes when I try to start them, but then they are fine after editing a different task!

They also seem to have fixed the before and after scripting of batch files which didn't work before.

Some progress is being made, but it is a hell of a way to be debugging live software!!! It isn't as though it was offered as a beta version!

24. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Well, Carol, I just tried to use the bootable recovery disk to recover a partial file recovery to a new location. Guess what? It failed. Try and see if it's just me. I can recover partial files if through Windows, but the recovery disk (latest from Acronis xxxxx70), won't show the complete destination in the final box of the program interface...just say's it will restore to, and shows the original location. (which I didn't want to corrupt the present files at this time in the original location). I then, in recovery disk mode, checked the archive of partial files backup by verification...it also failed, but had *passed* before through the Window's program interface. This looks like one screwed up program.

Good ideas, but little review of the program by Acronis or they would have surely caught these simple recovery errors. They best go back to the drawing board and pull version 9 off the Website.

...Allen

25. CarolHaynes

Can't say I am totally surprised, I presume the bootable CD is really designed for recovering partitions that you can't do in a live Windows enviroment (such as C:).

Since file backs are not really designed for system recovery I am not surprised that you can't do it from the CD - I suspect the archive is the wrong format.

This is why I think it is really confusing to have the same file type for both archives ...

You look at the two archives on the disk and they look identical - but they are actually two totally different beasts that have to be treated totally differently.

Why noy have TIB archives for partitions and TFB archives for files ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.