true image 9 bootcd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lodore, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi

I have acronis true image 9 but i havent needed to boot from images yet.

I was going to use the cd that came with it to boot from but i am now woried that it might not work. So should i make a bootable cd from create rescue media from the lastest build?

also I forgot to install rescue bootble media when i first installed so how do i just install rescue bootable media and keep the rest of the progam the same?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

You cannot boot from an image rather you boot from the rescue CD or the hard drive.

You absolutely need to create the acronis bootable media on CD. This will enable you to perform a bare metal restore with a completely new hard drive should your original disk fail. This assumes you have imaged your system to a location that is not on your system disk. Using the Acronis Secure Zone is fine for file system corruption and other data loss but if the hard drive fails you need an offline image and the boot CD and a new hard drive to recover your system. I assume you want to image the entire system disk.

If you do not have an offline (another disk, usb drive, or network share) to image to, try to make an image direct to DVD first if you can. My guess is you are worried about creating the secure zone, am I right? I never used the secure zone so I can't comment on that but as long as you image to an offline location or to direct to DVD you don't have to disturb any of your original data on the system disk. You are just reading the data from it, not deleting it. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Your last comment about not installing the bootable media can be solved by simply uninstalling everything first then reinstalling all the components you want. Then you should be able to create the CD.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have got the original cd that says its bootable so i could use that but i wanted to make an uptodate one.

i have imaged my whole pc's hard drive C: which is 53gb's worth directly on to my external maxtor one touch III. I used normal settings.

the reason why I want to make a new rescue media bootable disc is because I read a while ago people had problems restoring there images because it said they where corrupt. I know the new build now fixes this and now I want to make a new rescue media disc with the new build.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  4. mareke

mareke Registered Member

The CD that came with the program should be okay but I believe you are better off making a new boot CD from the latest build as it could contain support for more hardware as well as possibly having fixes for any problems reported about boot CDs. This however doesn’t mean that boot CDs made from later builds are always going to be better than boot CDs made from earlier builds. I have a collection of boot CDs made from successive builds of TI 8.0 and some work better than others and the boot CD made from the last build does not work as well as some earlier ones. Making a new boot CD as each new build comes out is good insurance.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

One thing that is very important is that at build 3567 the "engine" was changed which resulted in a different format for the archive files. You cannot restore an image created with build 3567 or later with a recovery CD from an earlier build; it does not understand the format and will not see the file as an archive.

The recovery CD made from build 3567 and later are backwards compatible so they will restore archives made with earlier versions.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i haveent installed bootable rescue media inthe program. but if i go to program files, acronis, acronis true image home,bootable rescue media. i can make one there. my question is if i update to the lastest build does the bootable rescue media outside the program update when i install the lastest build?

Or do i have to install it into the program?

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Make the rescue media by the method you described. You can also create it from the True Image main screen.

When you update to the latest build make another rescue CD so it will contain the latest version of the rescue CD and TI program. The rescue CD is totally independent of what is installed on your PC. It will operate even if TI is not installed on your PC which would be the case if you installed a brand new drive.

The rescue CD contains a stand-alone, memory-resident Linux operating system and the True Image program on the bootable CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.