True Image 9.1 Workstation - "Partitions contain errors"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AZDeveloper, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZDeveloper

AZDeveloper Registered Member

Hi All,

I've just downloaded T.I. 9.1 Workstation and installed it on my Dell Latitude D820 XP Pro SP2 machine.

I created a "Bootable Rescue Media" CD by selecting "Acronis True Image Workstation (Full Version)"

This is version 9.1.3854

I burned the CD successfully.

I then take the CD to my Dell Precision 490 Workstation where I have a hardware RAID 0 Array of two Western Digital 150GB 10k RPM hardrives.

I boot the CD and go to the "Backup" item (I'm paraphrasing here cause I'm very tired and it is very late).
    After selecting the partitions I wish to image, I click next and then I get a message that says something like:

"The parititions contain errors. You must do a sector by sector backup. Do you wish to continue." (that was a paraphrase, too, btw)

So I clicked no.
    Rebooted the Precision 490 workstation into Win XP x64, clicked on each drive letter in explorer, selected Tools and had windows check the drive for errors. I did select "Automatically fix errors" and that caused the machine to check the parititions at boot time, so I rebooted.
    No errors were reported.

So should I believe Win XP x64 that there are no problems with the logical drives and therefore the partitions are "OK" or should I believe True Image 9.1 workstation's Rescue Media CD ?

Is there a free trustworthy tool to test partition integrity ?

Thanks !

Craig

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AZDeveloper,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.
    We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the recently released latest build (3886) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please notice that such message indicates disk surface errors. Please check disks for errors with “Scan for bad sectors” option enabled as well.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. AZDeveloper

AZDeveloper Registered Member

Since I didn't get a response for so long to my initial post, I called Tech Support.
    Case# 906180

Turns out that the "Safe" mode of the T.I. 9.1 Workstation Bootable Recovery CD has no problems with the partition structure on the Matrix Raid Controller, but the "Full" version (based on Linux) does.

I was able to backup and restore an image to another internal hard drive with the "Safe" mode.

I'm debating about whether or not to try "Full" Mode again with the latest build of T.I. 9.1 Workstation Bootable Recovery CD that was posted on the Product Updates page on 1/30/07 (if I recall correctly). The reason why I'm reluctant to try the "Full" mode again is that it appeared to me that Full mode actually corrupted the partition table just by attempting to image. I say "appeared to me" because I'm not sure...

Can you say for sure that merely booting the T.I. 9.1. Workstation Bootable Recovery CD into "Full" mode won't modify the partition structures / MFT ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.