True Image 9.1 Build 3534 => how accurate is *SAFE* mode in my situation ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davidiocane, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidiocane

davidiocane Registered Member

Hi - my first post here

Am using TI 9.1 Build 3534 on a Toshiba A-105 Laptop.

Like others, *Full* mode does not work - even with the F11 / quiet acpi etc.... fix.

However, SAFE mode loads up fine, but does take longer to make the image and restore it.

My question is *assuming*

(i) I am not using any USB or SCSI or PC card etc ..... [ I only ever boot and restore to and from either a hard disk partition or a pre-burned DVD or pre-burned CD disk ]

and

(ii) I dont care if SAFE mode takes longer to image and/or backup and/or restore

=> is SAFE mode %100 as safe and %100 as accurate as FULL mode ?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Dave,

I don't see why not. The "Full" mode is Linux based and uses Linux device drivers to access your hardware. On the other hand, the "Safe" mode uses a combination of DOS and your motherboard's BIOS routines to access the hardware. In fact, some modern motherboards can actually work with external USB drives at the BIOS level.

So, as long as the "Safe" rescue environment can correctly detect your source and destination drives, there shouldn't be a problem.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dave,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As Menorcaman said above, the Full version of Acronis bootable media is a bootable image based on Linux operating system. It contains drivers to restore the Acronis image from devices that do not have direct BIOS support, such as SCSI controllers, RAID Devices, tapes, external USB storage and LAN cards. The Safe version of the bootable image contains a bootable image based on DOS and only supports devices that have direct BIOS support such as floppy disk drives, CD-ROM drives, DVD drives and IDE hard disk drives.

Please download and install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3633.

Please create the new bootable rescue media with the latest build (Full version) and see whether the problem remains.

If the problem still persists, could you please provide us with the detailed information on it?
    We will do our best in order to resolve the problem under consideration as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. davidiocane

Hi Tatyana

Before I do this, can you advise, is the problem I [and others are having with laptop recovery's] as described in my post above, supposed to be fixed in release 3633 ? *or* are you not sure if it is fixed in 3633 and you want users to let you know ?

Thanks,
    Dave

5. Acronis Support

Hello davidiocane,

Please note that this issue most likely related to the particular hardware. Please note that each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support. Therefore, in order to make sure the build 3633 works with your hardware I recommend you to install this build like Tatyana described.

If the issue persists with the build 3633, please Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. davidiocane

** UPDATE ** - True Image 9.1 Build 3534 => *SAFE* wont see my DVD-CD-RW drive ??

*** UPDATE *** TI 9.1 Build 3534 on a Toshiba A-105 Laptop.

I *thought* SAFE mode for this build was working %100 fine as I had only been doing backups from hdd partitions.

Upon my first attempt to restore from images burnt to CD in SAFE mode, I discovered that when I booted with my restore CD in SAFE mode, it wont see or regognize the DVD-CD-RW combo drive in my Toshiba Satellite A105 Laptop ?

As mentioned in previous posts, FULL mode is not an option, despite trying all known "fix's" i it hangs my Laptop.

What gives - why wont SAFE mode see my DVD-CD-RW combo drive in my Laptop ?

Is there a "fix"

Dave

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  7. Acronis Support

Re: ** UPDATE ** - True Image 9.1 Build 3534 => *SAFE* wont see my DVD-CD-RW drive ??

Hello Dave,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that you use an older build of Acronis True Image which may not support some hardware devices installed in your laptop. We cannot be completely sure that updating to the latest build will solve the problem you experience. However, as Aleksandr has already mentioned above, each new build provides better hardware support and that's why updating to the latest build available is the first thing you should try.

Please download and install the latest build (3666) of the respective Acronis True Image version which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall build 3534 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3666.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3666) of the respective Acronis True Image version then please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either and you still cannot boot into 'Full' version of Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3666) of the respective Acronis True Image version and press 'F11' key when the selection screen advising you to choose either 'Full', 'Safe' or 'Boot into Windows' option appears;

- After you get the 'Linux Kernel Settings' prompt, please remove the 'quiet' word, click on the OK button and choose the 'Full' option;

- As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

P.S. Please also note that a possible workaround is to use Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE allowing you to use Acronis True Image in a Windows-like environment having the appropriate drivers for the hardware devices.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.