True Image 9.0 - Manage Back-up folder size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ihaveaquestion, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image Home version 9.0. I do an incremental back-up each night. I noticed that the back-ups are starting to take up a lot of space on my server. Is there a way to restict the size that the back-up are allowed to use?

For example: I would like to only allocate 100gb. When the 100gm mark is reach, i would like the older copies to be automatically deleted with the current ones still available.

The way it is now, it won't be to long before the back-ups will take over all the gb's on the server leaving me no space for all my digital media.

ps: I believe that version 10.0 may have a solution for this, but still need to know if version 9.0 has a way to better manage storage volume

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

With 9 you have to use a secure zone, which enforces a maximum capacity limit OR you can use batch files (post-commands) to delete old files and/or rename new files with file dates included. Secure zone is limited function and "hidden files". Post-commands means futzing around with batch commands, setting envronment vaariables, and other stone-age stuff.

With 10, it's much easier. The date-time in the name happens automatically and you can specify one or more limts: number of backup files, total size of all backupfiles in directory, age. ATI 10 deletes oldest file first until all of the applied (whether 1 or 2 or all 3) limits are within threshold. Plus you can specify inc or diff files and how many incs or diffs get made before a new full backup is made, which kinda cool and you wish you could have done that all along without resorting to batch files.

3. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Registered Member

Now what do I do

S, now what do I do. My initial back-up was only about 20gig. Every night I add another differential back-up adding another 1 gig file. At this rate, my media server will not have space.

I can't even find where I can delete old back-ups manually.

My ideal situation is to keep only on month available and have the program automatically purge olf files.

Help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.