True Image 8 - Paging file and USB problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Colin D, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kbarb

Kbarb Registered Member

From post #13 above

What you did is an MBR fix I believe. I had the same problem and used the Seagate utility as well.
    Someone wrote a description of a resolution to the same problem using fdisk here :
    Unable to Log In to Windows 2000 After Changing Drive Letters

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Colin D,

You can also try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions). Could you please send the sysinfo.txt file to us? If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. csword

csword Registered Member

Colin,

Sounds like we have similar problems with the paging file. I purchased TI8 last year and finally got around to installing it. Like you, I did a test run by making an image of my 30gb WD300 to a network drive, then installing a fresh WD300 (removing the original drive) and tried to restore to the fresh drive. Everything went fine until I tried to boot up, after the restore was done. Thats when I got the "...no pagefile or pagefile too small..." message. No matter what I did, I could not get the drive to boot into windows, safe mode or not. I have spent about 10 hours on it so far and still no closer to the solution.

At the same time I purchased TI8, I also bought Disk Director 9.0...another horror story. At least this time I had tried to use it immediately so that I could switch between Linux and Windows...however, once it was on the disc, I played hell trying to get rid of it when it didn't work. It eventually came to using the backup MBR to get rid of it. My point is, does this sound familiar to some of the other "solutions" you have heard?

I do not believe it is up to the end user to dismantle or change bios settings in order to get a piece of software to work as it is advertised. I know that my software is far from getting my money back but you would at least think that Support would realize that they need to make the software workable.

I had occasion to ask Tech Support to solve my dilema with DD9 but got the same run around that you seem to be having. I'm still looking for a good, dependible backup program and haven't found it yet.

Colin (me2)

4. Acronis Support

Hello csword,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software and Acronis Disk Cloning and System Transferring Software.

Could you please add the old drive, and try to clone it to the new one? When you clone the disk you may choose two ways of cloning: automatic (proportional) and manual. In the first case the space will be distributed proportionally among the partitions. In the second case you can distribute the new disk space manually, this mode allows you to manage partitions in the way you need, but we recommend this way only for professionals.

Could you please explain you problem with Acronis Disk Director? What actions do you try to do? What error message do you get?

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. csword

csword Registered Member

Irina,

I have two, internal drives, both IDE (WD600 as primary master, partitioned into [2] 30gb logical drives, and [1] WD300 as a primary slave). I tried to clone the boot partition (30gb) to the pri-slave but TI8 wouldn't do it as the primary master is a partitioned drive, double the size of the drive I was targeting. Okay, I can understand this.

I used Fdisk to initialize and partition the new WD300 drive, then formated it to FAT 32. I then used TI8 to initialize the drive as a new drive. I removed the WD600 and installed the WD300 as the only drive (Pri-master) and rebooted. With the Acronis Restore CD in the CD-ROM, the reboot went fine, with the exception that ACPI could not be found, but the program continued to load. After the load, I tried to restore the verified backup and after about an hour, the restore said it was successful.

I rebooted and the boot was unsuccessful because the paging file was not the expected size or it was not found. After several attempts, and checking the size and location of the original file. Reading some of the responses to Colin D., on this forum, I have decided to try to find a program that will backup everything and then restore all to any drive.

As to the Disc Director, I gave up on that almost a year ago. I will not put myself in that position again, ever. I just purchased a couple of new WD800 drives and use the hot swappable docking stations to change out the OS.

Your program should allow for an invisible restore, to any size drive, in any computer as Genie does. Further, as I stated in my prior response to Colin D., I shouldn't have to change the bios or major functionality to be able to use a new piece of software.

6. Acronis Support

Hello csword,

Please note that you can clone only an entire hard drive, the "Clone Disk" wizard allows transferring the operating system, applications and data of an entire hard drive. Did you try to clone an entire hard drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.