True Image 8 - eSATA External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nolzman, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nolzman

Nolzman Registered Member

I have owned TI 8 for a while now and it saved me about a year ago when my HD crashed. I was a big fan.

Problem is my computer recently got the blue screen of death. I have a full backup on my eSATA drive. When I booted the rescue disk the software could not see the eSATA drive. The bios was set to it.

Is there a eSATA limitation with v8.?
    Does TI 10 handle eSATA Hard Drives?
    Is there some sort of setting somewhere I am missing?

I was eventually able to fix my PC without the restore, so I started to review the issue. I cannot get TI 8 to see the eSATA drive. I even did another full back up on an USB External HD, and TI 8 does not see this one either, although this may be a USB port issue. I had the external drive attached to my front USB ports. Not sure if they are active booting to Rescue Disk.

Should ALL the USB ports be active when booting the Rescue Disk??

I have a Dell 5150 (p4 3.2, etc...) with primay USB ports in the back, plus front ports, and a added on card. I know that only a couple of primary ports get actiavted during Safe Mode re-boot, does the Rescue Disk work the same way?

Thanks.

2. Brolskoff

Brolskoff Registered Member

an idea, but well a not very elegant solution: you will need a screwdiver!
    - if your eSATA box comes with a eSATA or a SATA connection: you can connect it directly to a free sATA internal connector
    - if not (only USB 2.0 thna), you can extract your sATA drive from the box and connect it internal
    but indeed, you need to open (at less) your computer....:p

3. Nolzman

Actually, the eSATA drive is one that I bought as internal drive and put in an external case. I could put the drive in the computer, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of having an external drive that is not always power on. There is less chance of it getting fried if it remains external and not always plugged in ;) .

Besides the eSATA is already directly hooked to the motherboard, sort of. It is attached by a simply eSATA extension from the motherboard. In fact, the drive is not recognized (even in normal Windows) unless the Seconday Drive is activated in the Bios.

A secondary question, shouldn't ALL the USB ports be active when you boot up from the Rescue Disk? o_O As I stated, the rescue disk boot doesn't even my previously recognized USB exteranl drive hooked up to the front ports. Maybe, only the front ports are not active. I will check that tonight.

4. Nolzman

Update:

Well... I downloaded the trial of TI 10 and it had no problem recognizing the eSATA drive. So, I guess I will upgrading to TI 10 now.

Anything I should know about buying the Upgrade, versus a new Full Version??

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The only thing I can think of is that you won't need your TI 8.0 serial number during the new install :)

Whichever you choose, I recommend you carry out a complete manual unstall of your TI 8.0 as per these <Acronis Support instructions>. If you don't you will be left with a number of redundant TI 8.0 files and folders.

Regards

6. Nolzman

What the......o_O??

Why can't I simply Run the Uninstaller, then delete the folder in Program Files directory, and run a Register Cleaner like TweakNow Regcleaner.

That seems really complicated and I do not like messing around in the registry that much. What is the purpose of all that??

Or better yet, should I not simply run the Upgrade download over the current install of TI 8.0o_O That is why I am purchasing the upgrade from Compusa for $21.00, instead buying the product again?

I guess that was the intent of my orginal question. Is their any problems simply "upgrading" TI 8.0 to 10.0??

Thanks again.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Whilst the Acronis Online FAQ states that you can upgrade/update to a new version/build without uninstalling the previous installation, in the past, this has often proved not to be the case.

Uninstalling via Windows Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs applet doesn't remove all traces of TI, even if you follow up with a reg cleaner. Unless the situation has improved dramatically with TI 10.0, upgrading from TI 8.0 without first manually uninstalling will leave a number of old device drivers, folders and files on your system. At best this is confusing and in the worst case it could prevent the new installation from functioning correctly. Hence the reason Acronis Support came up with those instructions for manually uninstalling TI 8.0. If you read the Acronis Support sticky titled <PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST> you will find a link to similar instructions on how to manually remove TI 9.x.

Anyway, it's your call whether you take my advice or risk just installing the upgrade over your previous version (with or without using the Add or Remove Programs applet first).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.