True Image 8 crashes right after start

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marco.boltz, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marco.boltz

marco.boltz Registered Member

Hi,

lately my TI8 crashes right after I start it. The main menu appears and the thing goes to nirvana with some windows message "read couldn't be done in memory 0xxxx" blabla... (sorry, it's a german Win2k - I just don't remember the exact english version of these kind of messages).
    I have no idea what I installed that made TI8 refuse to work - a few weeks ago it still did. I also tried un-installing und re-installing TI8 (including all the required restarts). Still crashes. An older version of TI (TI7) I tried instead of TI8 crashed even already at the installation process - right at "installing drivers".

Can anybody give me a hint what might cause this problem?

Best,
    Marco

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would run memtest86+ (www.memtest.org).

chkdsk X: /r where X represents the drive letter of the partition. Do all of them. It will want to reboot to check C:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marco,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please do as seekforever has suggested and check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Let us know where you save images to;

- Try to create an image when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD made with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and inform us about the result;

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the error message you receive;

- When exactly do you receive this error message?

- Download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, try to create an image once more and let us know the result.

Please send all files and information collected to support@acronis.de along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. Our German colleagues will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. marco.boltz

Hi,

most of the stuff you wrote I could not do because, as I mentioned in the other posting, I can NOT do anything in TI because it crashes right after I start it.

But here's what I checked:
    - Memory is fine. Checked it with Memtest for several days.
    - No errors with chkdsk.
    - Installed latest (test) version and build of TI9.1. Same problem (crash) again.
    - Tried to install latest Acronis driver. Crash right after I click "Repair/upgrade driver"
    - Same with the Acronis report tool.

There seems to be something after showing the GUI that all the Acronis tools seem to have in common. I guess it's something with the Acronis driver, hence the crash on installing it seperately.

I will send the windows report files to your support address. Maybe this clears the picture.

Best,
    Marco

5. marco.boltz

Oh, by the way: starting TI from a bootable rescue CD works just fine!

Marco

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello marco.boltz,

Could you please do the following:

- Press the Start button, choose Run, type "drwtsn32" and hit Enter;
    - In the dialog that appears check the "Log File" and "Crash Dump" paths, then click the OK button;

Please also do the following in order to enable mini-dumps:

- Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties";
    - Go to "Advanced" tab;
    - Go to "Startup" and "Recover Settings";
    - Choose "Small memory dump" in "Write debugging information" box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Now, please reproduce the system crash, pick up the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log files and the mini-dumps created. Attach these files to your request support@acronis.de. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.