True Image 8 + 9 and Norton GoBacK

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jreiz, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

I run ATI 8 on my computers running Windows XP Home SP2. Each computer also has Norton GoBack installed. I am a bit confused by the ATI FAQ which states that if you have GoBack and ATI running,that GoBack should be disabled. Is this all the time, or just when creating or restoring a backup with True Image? I have an external hard drive to which I backed up my image (with Norton GoBack enabled). Is this likely to be a good backup? Is there is a difference in problems occuring between ATI 8 and ATI 9 when running Norton Goback? I appreciate any responses. :)

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I use ATI with RollBack Rx (the same breed of program as GoBack - well sort of). From what I've been able to determine (or not determine), the concern when creating an image with any program that modifies the MBR (like GoBack, etc) is what will happen when you attempt to restore that image! I haven't found anyone who has done that,so most everything I've read is nothing but conjecture. Disabling GoBack/RollBack is the safer approach, but in doing so I believe you could lose your restore points (snapshots)!

For sure, more factual knowledge is needed in this area. :doubt:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  3. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

I have been running TI 8(826) and GoBack together for some considerable time and have had no problems whatsoever in successfully creating images under Windows with GB still functioning.

However, it is not possible to create an image using the bootable rescue CD or to carry out a restore without GB being disabled. This is because GB is dynamic, tracking and recording every keystroke and change at the sector level, and, outside Windows, TI will not work with dynamic drives.

Consequently, as I create all my images under Windows, the only time I disable GB is when I carry out a restore.

I can't help you as regards TI9 as I haven't tried it but I can't see there would be any difference in the situation as existing with TI8.

4. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

Hello AlWill,

Thank you. That is what I thought was true. I also don't know about ATI 9 - the language in the FAQ's regarding Norton GoBack compatibility is a little different than previously with ATI 8 (for some reason, when I've lately checked the Acronis site for the FAQ's, ATI 9 is not there).

5. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

Not too sure whether I understand you correctly but the issue of TI9/GB compatibility is the subject of the second last item in the Online FAQs.

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Not sure that is correct GB uses a non stardard PartitionID the rescueCD, BartPe etc cannot recognise this, so you would need to disable GB to restore.

This can be done in Windows or the Preboot menu or using partition editing software. But you loose you checkpoint data from memory.

I moved from GB about a year ago for this reason and the general system slow down. try First Defense or Rollback RX both excellent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.