true image 8.00 p.e.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by six-h, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. six-h

six-h Registered Member

I am wanting to image my internal 160GB disk to an external 320GB disk (not yet purchased).
    If the new disk is formatted NTFS, will it record the image of my internal disk correctly as that is divided into three sectors, C - local, D - backup, both formatted NTFS and D - recovery formatted FAT 32?
    I have only used approx 30GB in total, so will the image take up 32GB, or will it record all the empty space and take up 160GB?
    As you will have gathered, I am a new user and I have not yet installed the True image software which is on a cover disk received with a magazine, it professes to be a "Full Program" and I hope that it will serve my needs.??

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

” will it record the image of my internal disk correctly”
    Yes.

“or will it record all the empty space”
    TI will only backup used sectors, not empty space.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello six-h,

Adding a little to what TheWeaz said. You will find that, using TI's "Normal" compression setting, your 30GB of used space will probably result in an image file of around 20GB.

Regards

4. six-h

six-h Registered Member

thanks for that, but I'm wary of misunderstanding terms, by back-up do you mean the same as "image"

5. six-h

six-h Registered Member

does using compression compromise the reliability of the image.,

6. Menorcaman

Yes. In True Image speak, creating a "backup" is the same as creating an "image". There are two types of backup/image, namely, "Disk or Partition" and "Files and Folders". Each of these has three sub-categories - Full, Incremental and Differential.

Regards

7. Menorcaman

All things being equal - no.

Whilst you're in the Tools > Options menu setting the Default Backup Compression to "Normal", I would also set the both the Default Backup Priority and Default Restoration Priority to "Normal" as well.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.