True Image 10 severely messing up my system!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmc, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmc

jmc Registered Member

Windows XP, fully updated and patched. Multiple partitions on multiple hard drives, backup drive is Z:, external via E-SATA.

I've noted lately that the scheduled task to back up the C: drive when my system shuts down, will not always complete and the system will not shut down. When this happens, Acronis has essentially hung (reports it cannot write to the backup drive, and will not shut down), and my wireless connection is down. The only way to correct the issues is to restart the computer.

Today, a different task also hung in the same way. After a reboot, I tried to run the task manually and ran into the same problems.

I have checked Z: for any problems, cannot find any. Even when Acronis is reporting it cannot touch Z:, I can see it fine through Windows Explorer

After some troubleshooting, I downloaded and installed the newest version of TI 10 (I'm afraid to open it at the moment to get the number, but it was downloaded today, 23 May 09 directly from the Acronis website - 9***?)

This has made the problem worse! Now when I open Acronis, the Z: drive loses connection and then comes back up, and the wireless connection immediately goes down, and bounces depending on if Acronis is doing anything. Any task run blocks wireless and hangs, necessitating a reboot.

In addition, although I cannot figure out why, installing the newest version of Acronis somehow corrupted the prefs.js files of both Firefox and Thunderbird, and appears to have damaged other settings (icons in my taskbar that I've turned off, have shown back up again).

I have had problems with Acronis before, uninstalling it and reinstalling it was a major hassle (it would not reinstall), though eventually it was up and has been working fine for a couple of months.

I love Acronis True Image when it works, but if it cannot be trusted to work consistently, I may have to change products.

Please help!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Is your backup drive connected via a wireless connection? AFAIK, wireless is not supported but I'm open to correction.

3. jmc

jmc Registered Member

No, as I said above, it's connected via e-sata.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jmc and seekforever,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

jmc, could you please provide me with your e-mail address that is available for a further communication? I need several diagnostic files to troubleshoot the issue.

seekforever, you are correct, WLAN support has not been implemented.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. jmc

jmc Registered Member

Oleg, I would like to but don't want to post my email address to a forum; I've had 'em harvested even when obfuscated.

The problem continues to be troubleshot, I've determined that the problem with Z: isn't just the fault of Acronis, it appears to be a bigger problem - any large transfer of files has a good chance of causing Z: to bounce and fail, along with taking out my wireless. There's a conflict there I cannot find.

Even running a full spyware scan triggers the problem. I'm trying to run the drive off of USB, but it's not being recognized properly at the moment.

Oleg, even though it's not specifically Acronis, the problem was first triggered by your product, so I hope you can still help. Do you have an address I can send the files to?

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

jmc:

Click on the link Acronis Support in Oleg's message and choose "Send a private message to Acronis Support".

7. jmc

jmc Registered Member

Doh! Thanks Mark. Helps to find that sort of thing if you're logged in - Doh! again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.