True Image 10 (retail version)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mccoady, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

As long as you delete the FAT partition (temporarily), so the C: partition has unallocated space adjacent to it, you'll be able to accomplish what you're trying to do. You should also be able to accomplish your goal by deleting all the partitions, and starting over as Grover suggested. Since you're going to have to restore the C: partition anyway, you might as well just delete all the partitions.

First, are you able to delete the partitions? The last I heard you didn't think you could.

If you can, delete them all, this will leave a large unallocated space on the disk. Then restore the C: partition, you should be able to resize it as large as you want because the entire disk will be unallocated at that point.

Then restore the FAT partition, choosing unallocated space as the target. As long as you left enough space for this partition after resizing the C: partition, you should be OK.

And since the MBR isn't part of either partition, thus not affected by deleting the partitions, you shouldn't really need to restore it again, assuming it was restored properly the first time around.

Now to really confuse you, here's what I'd do if I were you. There's no need to have a large system C: partition, you really would like to have that partition just big enough to hold your installed programs, plus room for some growth, and 20-25% headroom for performance. 40-50GB is usually plenty for that. This will keep your system backup images smaller and more manageable. Then I'd research partitioning tools and make one or more data partitions out of the remaining unallocated space. Put all your user data on the data partitions, keep the C: partition free of any user data. Search the web about how to move your e-mail folders to the data partitions, and now your system partition will be fairly static in size and content. This way you won't have to do backups of the system partition as often, because it won't really change all that much (windows updates and new s/w installations mostly).

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

In my post #20, this is what I interpreted you had and what you want the change to be. As I mentioned in that post and Dwalby has similar ideas, you can better utilize the space by moving your personal data. Others would disagree but this is our opinion--for which you did not ask for.

The restore should be performed when booted from the TI Rescue CD; and both partitions should be retained as primary partitions.

So as not to confuse you, I will bow out and let this continue to resolution. There are many possible choices not all necessarily right or wrong.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. mccoady

mccoady Registered Member

Just deleted all the partitions but after selecting NTFS (C), then Disk 1 Unallocated it defaults to "Logical" is this what I want?

I'm sure this is the best way to go and normally I would take your advice but I'm tired of messing with this I just want to be done, also having never used partitioning tools before I'm sure it wouldn't be all that easy for me. It would help me just seeing how this all plays out (since I'm not there yet) doing what I had originally intended just to see how this process works without getting more confused (lol).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  4. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

It doesn't matter. When you do the restore of the C: partition it will ask you what type of partition you want to restore the image to, select primary/active. That will create the partition type during the restore process. The C: partition is the only one you want to select 'active' for. If you accidentally select active for another partition it will unset the 'active' attribute for the C: partition and assign it to the other partition, so make sure you don't have 'active' selected when you restore the FAT partition.

5. mccoady

I should have been more clear I've started the restore process starting with the C partition so after selecting Unallocated the next screen is defaulting to Logical but can be switched to Active.

Since this is Unallocated space TI named the partition J will it be renamed back to C after restoring the C partition?

Since Fat32 is about 2.375GB I allowed about 4Gb guess this was enough.

So I started the restore process of restoring only the C partition to the Unallocated space but it is saying it will take between 22 - 25 hours can this be right it only took 3 hours when I did this beforeo_O

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. mccoady

So after taking forever to partition the C partition to include the whole disc space (allowing for Fat32) it now makes more sense to me why dwalby and GroverH suggested making it 50-100Gb. Please take no offense to my not following your recommendation it's only because I would first have to find a free partitioning tool and then figure out how to use it without screwing up my other partitions.

Learning how to use TI to create and restore image backups has been alot for my aging noggin to comprehend but thanks to jmk94903, dwalby and GroverH I have learned so much! I plan on going back (after a break) and making the C partition about 100GB and then making a new partition for data using the rest of the unallocated space. My last questions:

1. You guys mentioned making a data partition but can you move "My Documents" folder from the C partition to the data partition without causing problems to the C partition?

2. Relating to question #1 I share this computer with my wife and she needs everything very simple to use. Using the Start menu where you have "My Documents", "My Pictures" and "My Music" can you point each of these to the data partition?

3. My original 250GB drive had a factory restore program which was restored to the new 750GB drive. Since I've changed the size of the partitions on the new drive what happens when I use the factory restore on the new drive, does it revert back to how the 250GB was configured?

4. I still have a image backup of the original 250GB drive which I would like to keep, if I make another full backup this time of the new 750GB drive will I be able to keep the first image or will the new image overwrite it? Should I be able to keep both images?

5. Once you Validated a image backup do they stay that way?

7. GroverH

Not everyone subscribes to having their personal files on an alternate drive. This is one example of users keeping all their files on Drive C.

Tatou rambling on--one large drive with many externals
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1383642&postcount=13

If you do want to make additional changes, here are some ideas.

Referring to your question 1 & 2:

1. A partitioning tool is only needed if you want to alter an existing partition. Using such a tool usually involves several moves of your existing partitions in order to provide room for another. It is not for the faint of heart. Of course, you have your backups to start over with should you encounter problems.

2. Or, no tool is needed if you are willing to again delete all the partitions on the 750 GB drive and perform another Partition Restore with Resize procedure. This will enable you to create a 3 partition disk--by adding a 3rd large data partition--again using my prior Restore with Resize guide. Best chance of getting results are obtained if you perform the restore when booted from the TI Rescue CD!.
    *a. Delete the all existing partitions on the target drive.
    *b. Restore the C partition ((Sample images 11-9 as Active-NTFS) to the desired new size leaving all the remaining space unallocated in the "Free space after" option. (Sample images 11-10)
    *c. Next Restore the small configuration partition (Sample image 11-15 as FAT32 & primary) maintaining its original size of 2.97 GB (or a tiny bit larger if you cannot get the exact 2.97 GB). Leave all the remaining space as unallocated in the "Free space after" option. (Sample image 11-16 resize)
    *d. Jump to the end (Sample image 11-24) Finish the Restore leaving the balance of space as unallocated.
    *e. Upon successful completion, reboot with only the new drive attached.

3. At this point, you should be booted into Windows with your C drive in its new smaller size.
    *a. Open Windows Disk Management and create a new partition within the unallocated space. A format of the new partition will be needed. Be careful to choose the correct partition. Assign a specific name to the new partition--such as data, etc.

4. If you plan on relocating personal files (documents, etc) to the new data drive, you need to do more research.

**a. If you were running XP, it is an easy switch. Go to the Microsoft site and download the Microsoft Powertoy for XP called TweakUI). One of its options (MyComptuer/special folders) provides the capability of using Windows to move your folders.

*b. If running Vista, do some google search for "Moving Documents in Vista" [plus variations of that search. There are some posting in various blogs but these may have related to early versions of Vista. Do some research on this topic before you jump. My os is XP pro so I cannot assist with moving folders in Vista. It does not appear that moving folders or profiles is an easy chore except for the very experienced.

*c. Don't forget, Windows has an immediate undo option should you make a mistake but the undo must be done before another function occurs. Also would suggest that you create some System Restore points (as you go along) should you need to undo your folder movements. Also, maintaining a current set of TI backup archives could be prudent. Create a incremental before making the change gives you the opportunity to go back should your other options fail. There have been issues of Vista Restore points not being restored so be prepared with your TI backups.

*d. Another option would be to leave the folders alone and create your own second set of personalized duplicate document folders. You could then use a copy program such as Replicator and have it regularly copy all the files from the offical documents folder to your own personalized folder with our own choice of names. This would allow you to keep the system drive small (the master folders would always be empty) and make it easy to backup your files from the personalized folder.

4. My guess on your use of the Recovery partition is that if you had to use it, it would put your system back to factory fresh condition and the disk size would be the same was when new. If your disk is currently larger, my guess is that it would set any oversize as unallocated space.

5. Once the image is validated (using the TI Rescue CD which is the restoring mechanism), the image should be ok. If you move the image, it should be validated again for security sake. There has been recent reports of system regularly validating good. User stops validating and some non-validated archives failed the restore procedures. Just be aware that it can happen.

8. You need to have a plan of regular backups while retaining the old as well. Sometimes you do not discover a problem until several backups later so it is always good to have a Plan B & C & D, etc. Many of us use a combination of rotating extra drives; storage on CD or networks and even other backup programs to provide another recovery option should the primary recovery plan fail for whatever reasons. It mostly depends upon how important your data is to you should it be destroyed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  8. mccoady

Sorry I misunderstood dwalby thinking I had to use a partition tool. Essentially doing what you described above is just what I just got done doing so now that I understood the process deleting the partitions is the way I would want to go.

Gosh I was actually at this step and didn't know it when I first restored the image of the original C drive although instead of the C partition ideally being around 100GB it was at 250GB. I wasn't aware of using Windows Disk Management to do what I wanted to do which is creating a new partition within the unallocated space.

I'm using XP Pro for the record. I really like the idea of of leaving the folders alone (less for me to screw up) and using Replicator which I'd never heard of but definitely going to check out.

Kind of what I figured but not what I had hoped I guess the factory restore will always restore the C partition at 250GB.

So since the backup image of my original 250GB drive is on a external drive and I make another copy (instead of moving) to my other internal drive I assuming the image should be ok/stable.

Currently I only have a backup image of my original 250Gb drive to my external drive but when I get done rearranging the partitions (if I go ahead with this) I want to also create a backup image of the final result. So I seem to be understanding that I can always keep the original 250 drive image plus create mutiple Full backups of the new drive (should I choose) without TI overwriting past image backups?

I suppose the most important backup for me personally besides the OS is My Documents folder which I already have backed up my my other internal drive plus also my external drive. In addition I use Cabonite which automatically backs up to their online storage site "Documents and Settings and also any files on any other internal drives. I have moved all my music files including the iTunes folder to my other internal drive which are backed up separately from my multiple My Document backups.

Taking into consideration what I just said is it still recommended I resize the C partition to something closer to 100GB? If I leave it at it's current 695GB size and since it took something like 24 hours to restore it, will all future image backups and restores take this long?

9. GroverH

What to do is really your choice. It is difficult for me to choose what might be best for you. It would be beneficial and a good learing experience. If something goes haywire, you can always restore the C partition as a safety recovery..

You mentioned copying your archive to another drive. Then, yes, you will need to bootup from the Rescue CD and validate the new copy. This is the only way you will know that the copy did not lose a few bytes in the transfer. If you are concerned about your archives being written over, then rename them or make them read only or make sure all your future archives go into a different folder or make additional copies of them.

I personally would not want a large drive for my system partition. My system drive is 120gb split into 3 partitions. Plus I have three other internal drives for a total of 15 partitions. My drive letters are C to O inclusive. My optic drives are P & Q. My 5 external drives use a mix of letters R to Z. If you new 750 is larger than your other drives, I would consider reusing the 230 as the system disk and converting the 750 to an additional internal storage drive.

This is the link for Karen's Replicator. I think it to be really nifty. Other forum members also use it for plain Windows copy function. Check out its many options. You will need to download and install 2 files the first time you use any of her tools. This is explained on her web page. I have it scheduled to copy my assorted documents and emails to another internal disk late each night.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

Should you try to use the drag & drop method of moving some folders, I suggest you have the two folders open and opposite each other for an easy drag. As I mentioned in an earler posting, you need to download the TweakUI for XP Powertoy from Microsoft for any instructions on the movement of system folders. I have all my documents on the 2nd partiton (d: of my system disk). My third partiton (E:) is mostly a temparary work area.

As to the restore time, it could be due to just the first time but it could allude some other situation. I would take a new backup and restore the C partiton (booted from the Rescue CD) only and check its restore time. This might be worth posting a new question in another thread about its restore time.

With your use of Carbonite, it sounds like you have your personal data backups all set. It is your system partition that needs the most attention.

Good luck with our decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.