True Image 10 Restore mess

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ulixes, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulixes

Ulixes Registered Member

Hello,

I'm fairly new to True Image and I can't overcome a problem:

I installed Windows in a partition (K:). I made a backup of this fresh installation with TI 9.

Now when I need a new Windows installation I restore my backup to a new partition (the drive letter is different from K) without problems. It's fast and efficient.

Everything is ok with TI 9, but yesterday I Tried True Image version 10.

I select Restore files and folders as I have done before, but now True Image creates a subfolder in the disk root, named "Drive(K)" and restores the files there.
    It should put the files in the root, instead.

At this point all my WinXp installation is placed in that Drive(K) subfolder. Why? What can I do to restore my files to the root of my drive?

I was forced to uninstall version 10 and return to 9.

Thank you for your attention.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Instead of restoring Files and Folders what happens if you restore the complete Image? And BTW, since ver 9 works for you stick with it until the rest of the unpaid beta testers report all the bugs in Ver 10.

3. Ulixes

Ulixes Registered Member

I don't restore the complete image because I always restore to a different hard drive.

Creating a new folder seems more like a feature than a bug, I don't know.

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Must be the alignment of the planets ... this is the second post that I'm having trouble understanding. :D If you're restoring to a different hard drive then surely you would want it to be bootable just like the drive it is replacing? And to have it do this you have to restore the entire image - not just files and folders.
    If you want to save only certain files then use Windows Explorer to copy them to the other drive - much simpler than using True Image.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ulixes,

What you are seeing is normal when you restore files and folders to a different location. See this previous thread titled <Restore files from an Image> for further details.

As for the file corruption mentioned in the above thread, this is a known bug in TI 9.X and happens when you restore files and folders from within the Acronis boot rescue environment. Check out this previous thread titled <Boot Mode Files & Folders Restore: PDF file corrupt and unreadable> for details of the problem. I have no idea whether the bug has been fixed in TI 10.

Regards

6. Ulixes

Ulixes Registered Member

Thank you Menorcaman, this fully answers my question.
    I'll have to stick to version 9 because I can't deactivate that new feature in TI 10. Otherwise I will have to find a different backup software.

:)thumb: Hint for Acronis: please make this option deactivable!!)

Well, my system is multiboot.

There is one boot partition C: with the boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect etc. files. This partition is 8 MB and contains only these little files.

All the Windows installations reside elsewhere on other drives and partitions, and there are lines in c:\boot.ini to make them boot.

When I need a new Windows installation I simply deploy the relevant files in a new clean partition and manually add a line in boot.ini.

So it's true, I can do that with Explorer (or WinRar), but I found True Image differential capability really useful to create this peculiar set of files:

- Full image with fresh Windows installation
    - Differential with my drivers
    - Differential with all windows updates and patches since sp2
    - optional Differential with various windows and registry tweaks and utilities

With these I can choose exactly what I want to install.

It's really fast and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.