True Image 10 - PATA to SATA2 clone - XP does not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MINIMOKE, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MINIMOKE

MINIMOKE Registered Member

HHi there,

I have searched for my problem in other threads, but can't find a solution.

I seem to have been able to successfully clone a Windows XP (SP2) PATA IDE HDD to a SATA2 using the clone utility of True Image 10 (home). The cloning went smoothly, I have tried both manual and auto modes. However I’m unable to start the PC using the new SATA2 disk.

At the end of the cloning process I'm asked to click on a button to restart the PC and re-arrange the boot sequence in BIOS.

When I re-started the PC after the first cloning attempt, it looked as though the cloning had been successful. The 1st Windows splash screen was shown and then it went to the second, but just hung. there was no HDD activity. I left it for minutes, but still no change. I then re-started the PC and a message appeared after POST saying that the drive was not bootable.

Subsequent attempts at cloning and restarting immediately bring up the "drive not bootable" warning.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Dave

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Cloning usually requires you disconnect the old drive before booting off the new one. Look here for a discussion of the issues created when you don't http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

3. MINIMOKE

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did actually remove the "old" PATA drive and made sure the "new" SATA2 drive was the boot drive the before re-starting the first time.

Dave

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Sounds like the MBR is corrupt. Boot from the XP CD and go into the repair console and run FIXMBR or boot from a WIN98SE boot floppy and run fdisk /mbr.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If this is the first time your PC has seen a SATA drive it could be the SATA driver is not loaded. I wonder if going into the XP repair console would cause the driver to get loaded.

6. MINIMOKE

Thanks Tom,

That link had a lot of good suggestions. I was going to try methopd #3 this evening.

Cheers,

7. MINIMOKE

Hi seekforever,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, the PC has "seen" the SATA2 drive before. I was able to partition it using XP Disk Manager. The BIOS also recognises it and by default set it to "native" mode.

I set True Image 10 to delete all previous partitions from the destination disk whilst cloning, so these "XP" generated partitions should have been deleted?

I only had a CD for XP SP1 at home (my XP has been patched to SP2 via web upgrades) . I managed to find XP SP2 at work. I'll try the MBR fix first and then if that doesn't work, I'll try a XP repair.

Cheers,

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It may have done, but if the registry contained in the image file hasn't or the driver hasn't been installed/enabled, then as far as XP is concerned your drive doesn't exist properly.

Colin

9. MINIMOKE

Update:

Tried removing MBR (using Win98 start-up disk). Same problem.

Used XP SP2 CD to try and repair cloned XP on SATA2. XP install did not recognise SATA2 disk.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. Any help, most appreciated.

10. MINIMOKE

Hi All,

Problem solved:

My ASUS P4S800-MX-SE motherboard needed a BOIS update. After I did that, the cloned HDD booted up into Windows XP. All good now.

Thanks for all the suggestions in the forum.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.