True Image 10 Home - no splitting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Egoiste, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Egoiste

Egoiste Registered Member

Hi, I am using Acronis True Image 10 Home and I have a problem with archive splitting. I have set in options to split backups into 100 MB pieces, however the backup proces always creates just one file (base backup and differential as well). I use TI on Vista, the backed-up disk is an OS partition on RAID0. How can I make it split the backup?

Thanks.

2. Egoiste

Egoiste Registered Member

I forgot to mention... I backup the OS into one of my backup locations. These locations have limitations based on my preferences, so they are managed automatically. So is that the reason why the backups do not split?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, there is no manual splitting allowed in a Backup Location.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Egoiste,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as seekforever said, archive splitting option is not available when you store the image to the Backup Location. This was done by design, since the general purpose of the Backup Location is automatic management of your image archives, stored in local or network folders called backup locations. Usually, Backup Location uses in conjunction with scheduled tasks to create a reliable backup strategy.

If you would like to split the image archive into several files in order to be able to burn them to removable media (CD or DVD discs) later, you should not store the image archive to Backup Location but use another regular folder instead.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. themidge

themidge Registered Member

Hello,

I'm using a backup location to manage an automated daily backup. The thing is, it's a FAT32 NAS device. FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB, will acronis be able to deal with this or would this create problems.

What I really need is an automated self managing backup setup, that's what I thought acronis would give me. So, it this not possible with a FAT32 NAS?

Regards,
    Matt

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't see why not. Lots of people save images to FAT32 USB drives and TI properly breaks the image into 4GB pieces automatically. When it restores an image it knows that the pieces are all part of one archive.

Why not test it if you aren't sure? If your answer is that you don't want to risk upsetting your system then my reply to that is that if you haven't done a test restore then you don't know if your backup works.

7. themidge

Simple but effective! Thanks for kicking me in to gear, I'll give it a go.

8. themidge

Okay, it turns out that you can't use a FAT32 NAS as a backup location - used for automatic deletion of old archives etc.

Is there any other way to split archives AND clear out old ones using a FAT32 drive?

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I read from this that users of Ti 11 who want to have a backup location feature on external drive must have that drive formatted in NTFS. Or put another way TI 11 does not fully support FAT 32 anymore ?
    I hope this oversight will soon be corrected.

Xpilot

Edit Common sense suggests that of course this will aso apply to internal as well as external drives.
    If I am correct there should be big warning notices on the box and elsewhere that systems using FAT 32 are no longer supported.

I just hope I am mistaken.

Xpilot

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I assume that this has been carried forward into Version 11 or is this a shothcoming that has been corrected in the latest edition ?
    Has Acronis not considered users who would like to use the location feature also may want to copy their archives to DVDs. Being able to split achives at the time of creation makes for a much slicker operation.

Xpilot

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello themidge and Xpilot,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that FAT32 formatted drives can be used with Acronis Backup Locations. The archives stored there will be automatically split into 4gb pieces. Otherwise, archives directed to Acronis Backup Locations cannot be split, as explained by Aleksandr.
    The same applies to Acronis True Image 11.0 Home

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

P.S. I'm terribly sorry, but Acronis True Image 11.0 Home currently does indeed have a problem with autosplitting backups to FAT32 partitions. Our Development Team is aware of the problem and is working on fixing it.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.