True Image 10 Home backup to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PhiliusM, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiliusM

PhiliusM Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I've got True Image 10 Home and it won't write to DVD on my new PC. I want to use the recovery CD to take a cold image of the Vista partition on my machine. Everything seems to start to run and then about 5 minutes into the backup all DVD writer and hard disk activity grinds to a halt.

I'm in the ridiculous situation where I have to choose another partition for the destination for the image, asking the backup to create DVD sized chunks of data. This results in a series of files that I burn to DVD.

When using the Vista built-in burn it reports the files are too big to fit on a DVD. I have to use a 3rd party tool to accomplish the burning process.

Has anyone seen this problem with True Image 10? Has anyone even tried it? Nothing on the True Image support site. I logged a tech support call and just this moment had a reponse suggesting the aforementioned workaround.

My PC comprises Intel Core2 Quad CPU 2.4GHZ
    2GBytes RAM
    Asus Striker Extreme motherboard.
    Sony DRU-810A DVD Writer.
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS graphics card.
    4 500 GByte SATA disks arranged in 2 mirrored RAID sets.

I can use the recovery floppy from my old Ghost 2003 to burn an image to DVD without issue. I've even tried restoring it and it works. My 3rd party burning tool SwiftDisc writes to DVD without issue. Vista will write to most media without a problem but it's very slow.

Running the TI recovery CD on a laptop seems to work but it's also painfully slow taking over 4 hours to backup 25GBytes. But the issue is that it does work so there must be something funny about my machine that the Acronis software doesn't like.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Regards,

Phil M

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PhiliusM,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

I had a similar problem with Dell pc and Vista. The Roxio said the files were too big to fit on a DVD. I had to reduce the "chunk size" of the image files to 4gb, or 4096 mb. I believe it is a problem in Roxio, but that is the way I got it to work.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Many of us experienced users will say the "ridiculous" situation is the better situation. I always make my images onto another partition and then use Nero (or whatever you want) to burn the resulting files to DVD. I only use DVDs as a secondary backup media.

By using a program like Nero you can control the burn characteristics such as speed if you wish. You can also use the program's "verify after burning feature".

As for size, it seems like perhaps somebody got their K=1000 or K=1024s mixed up maybe. I always split at 1492 MB which Acronis changes to 1.457GB. Three of these files fit nicely on a DVD and since they are each under 2GB the ISO rather than UDF file system is used (not a big deal though).

BTW, if your archive spans more than a couple of DVDs plan on copying them to a HD before attempting a restore or you will drive yourself and the door on your DVD reader nuts with swapping.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.