True Crypt, Win 10 install, loss of true crypt bootloader

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by savantskie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. savantskie

savantskie Registered Member

Hello,

I'll let it be known right now that I am in no way a complete noob. But when it comes to drive encryption I am learning. But I still get things wrong.

Ok, here's the deal:

I decided instead of using up system resources I was gonna install Windows 10 Technical preview on my main machine. (I know not smart move) And was successful with a dual boot, or so I thought.

I run True Crypt on my main OS, and had pre-boot authentication set up on my main system drive.

When I installed Win10TP on my secondary drive Win10 rewrote the TrueCrypt boot loader and now I'm stuck not being able to get INTO Win7. It just doesn't see it at all. Im guessing because it's still encrypted and Windows doesn't see the other OS on bootup.

Well after fiddling and looking around, I was able to get TrueCrypt onto my Win10 installation, and after telling it to skip pre-authenticated boot option and putting in my password, I can now see the drive IN Win10.

What can I do from here to get my Win7 OS to be seen on MBR, and do Dual Boot? Or am I gonna have to trash the drive, and all my settings and re-install?

I've tried to permanently decrypt the drive, but it tells me that it's not encrypted.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Simply re-write/restore the TC bootloader using your rescue disk. It should take about 10 seconds!! If you are worried about messing up your 10 install then simply mount the 7 OS using your rescue disk image. Once 7 is mounted and running you can remove the rescue disk since its not needed except for boot in this instance. Either way it couldn't be too much easier.

3. savantskie

I never made a rescue disk... That I can remember.

4. savantskie

Found the Rescue Disk! Was stored on my server! Ok, so now how do I go about doing this, and preserve my Win 10 dual boot?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

OK lets first verify the rescue disk is good and the correct one. You need to burn that rescue disk image to something bootable in your machine. Usually a cdr/dvd is the easiest. USB is not tough but if you can burn it to cdr lets start there.

Assuming you have a iso/bootable rescue disk; insert it and boot it up in RAM. There is an option to mount the OS directly from the rescue disk image. If done properly you will change NOTHING on the harddrive. You are in essence using the rescue disk's stored bootloader to authenticate. In other words the rescue disk and your password (which you must know even with the disk present) will provide the preboot authentication.

If 7 comes up correctly at least you know you have the right disk and that the OS is still OK. It should be I think. Lets start here because this is safe as can be.

To protect yourself don't write the bootloader back or change anything on the hard drive at this point. TC will boot fine from the correct rescue disk.

6. savantskie

Alright, done that and says no operating system. Even though I see all the files, and can read and access them within Win 10....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.