True Crypt and Drop Box?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by mattdocs12345, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay so i have a DropBox account that I would like to keep it private without NSA snooping through it. I just like to keep certain files only to myself. I heard that TC if configured properly can provide such protection.
    Now is there any way to automatically encrypt all files in True Crypt when they are synched into Drop Box?

2. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

For automatic encryption, take a look at BoxCrypt.

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Kind of automatic, but you have to mount your tc container anyways to put files in it right

An easy way is go to Truecrypt settings, uncheck

"Preserve modification timestamp of file containers"

it is not a security feature unless you dont want the container to tell when it was last accessed/modified. which would be basically null in this case anyways because your using cloud storage.

You can create your container right inside your Dropbox folder it will upload during creation which cuts time down because its uploading as its being created, When you Mount your TC container it is only mounted on your machine, your dropbox will not upload the modified encrypted content until it detects the change after you Close the Container and TC writes the modification timestamp, then only the modified contents you added will be uploaded, no need to reup your entire container just the modified parts upload on their own after you close your container.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Excellent write up on Dropbox using TrueCrypt.

One can also use CloudFogger:

http://www.cloudfogger.com/en/

Best regards,

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  5. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

hmmm. kind of complicated but doable. one question. will I be able to have one click access to my files in drop box or will i have to type my password or mount each time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.