Troubles...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cvette, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

On 12/13/13 I logged a support ticket with Bitdefender regarding the program consistently crashing every time Game Mode was enabled. In addition to that bug, the constant hard drive access by Bitdefender's Autoscan feature was unlike any I've ever seen from an anti-virus. I let the program download it's first virus definition database and ran a full system scan, which took roughly 5 hours to complete. I had assumed that this would lessen the amount of on-access scanning in the future as most antiviruses these days have a "scan only when changed" sort of feature to keep from unnecessarily scanning the same file twice. According to the built-in Windows Resource Monitor the Bitdefender process was still accessing the same files after the scan. Throughout the next week I was having trouble with Bitdefender automatically updating. It would warn me that the virus database is out of date. I would open the security center, update the program, and all would be fine. The next day I would experience the exact same issue. In addition to all of this my computer has BSOD'd several times since I've installed the program, which is very unlike my usually smoothly running computer. I mentioned this to Bitdefender support as well.

On 12/18/13 I was contacted by Bitdefender and requested to generate a support log and attach it to my next email. I provided them with the log the next day. On 12/21/13 I received another reply from Bitdefender asking that I uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from my computer, as that is what is likely causing the majority of my issues. I was about to explain that the program is on-demand only, and does not run in the background. However I gave them the benefit of the doubt and uninstalled. The issues persisted.

I continued to find little quirks and issues with the program the week after the last email. The security center would alert me to “serious issues affecting the security of your pc” and upon opening the security center I would find absolutely nothing wrong. All of this combined with the performance and auditory annoyance of the scanner constantly running the the background was enough for me to email Bitdefender and ask for a refund of my purchase. I sent the email on 12/23/13 and have not received another reply since.

I understand that the holidays may be causing a delay in our exchanges, however I’m having serious doubts about the program itself now. Has anyone else had similar experiences with BD? I'm not sure where to go from here.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Maybe run a sfc & hopefully it'll repair some system files damaged by BD.

3. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

That was my first idea after uninstalling Bitdefender. I ran a scan and let it complete. It found and fixed some errors, although I'm not sure that I'll reinstall Bitdefender again.

4. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

*UPDATE*

It has now been two weeks without a response from Bitdefender.

I contacted Bitdefender via telephone and explained the situation, and delay to the representative. I was put on hold for several minutes as they checked my account information. The representative informed me that my case was listed as "low priority" and said that it will be raised to a higher priority level and that I can expect a reply in the coming week.

To have paid $69.95 USD for this product I would have expected much better technical support as well as a faster response time.

I apologize if this post appears as if I am bashing the Bitdefender name. I don't mean to sound that way at all. I simply want to inform anyone considering purchasing the product of my experiences.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Bitdefender: still occasional virus-like behavior or is it fine ?

Sometime in the past Bitdefender had some unfortunate effects on the systems of some people.

Like eating critical system files.

Hogging resources (let's assume a WIN 7 system with at least 4 GB RAM), freezing the system and other virus-like behavior (what's worse: a virus or the antivirus?) amongst other things.

How is the product in that respect these days ?

On a different note: it seems to be doing very well in terms of protection. Their engine is very popular. I'm not sure how they got that good.

Any secrets I should be aware of ? ;)

6. geekatlarge

geekatlarge Registered Member

Re: Bitdefender: still occasional virus-like behavior or is it fine ?

Fly's not alone in this - I'd like to know, too. :)

In particular, is there an option to not automatically quarantine a suspicious file?

Also, are there still huge slowdowns at times?

Not trying to hijack Fly's thread at all, I have the same concerns so any answers would be valid for me too.

Thanks!

7. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

yes is there an option to do not quarantine automatically in all bitdefender products except bitdefender free edition :)

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But the free version doesn't actually quarantine anything, it just prevents access to it. So it shoudl be reasonably easy to solve because files are still there, you just have to disable Bitdefender and system would boot like usual.

9. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Bitdefender is worse than malware imho.

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am sad to know that BD support still works that old bad way. BD simply do not support some system configurations and there is no proper explanations. I was not able to run BD in my previous PC and ran into similar situations like you.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=272663
    They will always tell you to remove any layered protection that you have and still the problem will persist.
    BD may have one of the best antimalware engine but their coding is not perfect otherwise. Moreover, BD support is almost non-existant and least knowledgeable. It is better to use other software that uses BD engine like F-Secure, Bullguard, Emsisoft, eScan etc.
    Note: I have also seen many systems where BD runs quite well.

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Would you mind sharing ?

12. ance

Bitdefender software is full of bugs, it seems that they are not interested in fixing them. The main advice is: Uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender. However, you get a new GUI every year. :D

The best thing of Bitdefender is the superior engine which works great in other products like Bullguard, G Data and so on. You can try a test version before buying.

13. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Every single piece of software ever written has bugs.

Personally I have not had any issues with Bitdefender 2013 or 2014. Great detection & very light on system.

Perit please list the bugs you are talking about instead of just saying it is full of bugs.

14. ance

Choose yourself: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=398

No Bitdefender for me any more, sorry. I'm happy that it works for you. If you need a licence please contact me.

15. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Yeah the BD forums ain't the best in the world & the support team there do need a kick up the rear to perform better.

I know that BD does have issues with other security apps, I had to remove my paid version of MBAM due to freezes (even though I had excluded both in each app)

The only other issue I had was it doesn't like Comodo Firewall, had to extract the BD setup file then remove the Comodo xml files to get it to install ok.

I don't find it slows my system at all, I use the PC during the day & night & it left running overnight so the autoscans never bother me.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you though.

16. snippits

snippits Registered Member

I tried Bitdefender for three consecutive years, and it's the only antivirus that I used that causes an online game that I use to play for years stutter. Numerous stutters every minute around the clock.

Re-image and install anything else like Avast, AVG, Norton, Microsoft, Webroot, and Eset and all is peachy. Excluded everything and even turned Bitdefender off, and it was still stuttering. Other bugs too that I am not going to mention specifically.

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Exactly right! Quite happy here with Emsisoft AM whereas years ago BD itself hosed a couple installs. Never again will I will use BD without a non BD wrapper (GUI).

18. ance

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Does anyone know why/how they got a great engine ?

Romania ... maybe there is a story behind that, like Kaspersky ...

20. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Bitdefender use to have competiton in their own country with RAV antivirus. Microsoft bought RAV about ten years ago.

21. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

*UPDATE* 1/6/14

I have not received a response from Bitdefender regarding my support ticket that has been open since 12/13/13. During my telephone call with their technical support earlier this week I was assured that I would receive a reply within 48 hours time, and that the priority of my ticket would be increased to the highest level. The only email I have received since then has been an automated message informing me that I opened a new support ticket, which I did not.

Bitdefender no doubt boasts a fantastic engine with some of the highest detection rates in the industry as of today. The program itself has a very pleasant looking GUI, that isn't far too complicated to navigate. However, the number of issues that I have encountered over my two to three weeks with the program have been outrageous. I would expect, and understand this if the program were in an Alpha, or even Beta state, but certainly not a finished product that sells for $69.95 USD.

The number of issues with the program, as well as the quality of the technical support has made this one of the worst paid software experiences I have ever had. I am currently contacting Avangate in hopes of receiving a refund of the purchase price directly from them. I am strongly discouraged by their number of complaints with the Better Business Bureau (see attached image)

Attached Files:

22. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

/OT

Really, what's with Eastern Europe and AVs anyway? Does that have something to do with their education system?

Bitdefender_____________: Romania
    Avast, AVG, Trustport____: Czech Republic
    Kaspersky, Dr.Web, NANO : Russia
    Eset___________________: Slovakia
    ArcaVir_________________: Poland

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  23. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

*UPDATE* 1/7/14

This reply from Bitdefender is identical word-for-word to the one I received when I first requested a refund over two weeks ago. I feel as if I'm just getting the run-around now. I'm told that I will be contacted within 48/hrs by a technical support agent. Three days later I receive an automated message informing me that my request has been received and to expect a reply in another 48/hrs. The next day I receive a reply from a support agent stating that they'll be getting back to me shortly.

I'm pondering what sort of legal action can be taken by someone in my position.

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Really sad to know this. Can you try to reach their FB/Twitter and let them know this? or, better PM their representative here Iulika0069

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.