Troubles in Paradise

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Troubles in Paradise

I recently decided to rebuild my system, software wise, from the OS on up. Everything was going fine until I tried to install FD-ISR. The very scary thing about this issue was that I had no idea that FD-ISR had a significant problem during the installation until I tried to create a backup floppy disk of the MBR. The screenshot attached is a true and accurate depiction of what I observed. Let me reiterate that FD-ISR did not give me a single indication that something went terribly wrong during the install until I tried to create a backup of the MBR. This is troubling for a number of reasons discussed below the screenshot.

http://dustinallen.com/Wilders/FDISR_Error.JPG

First, the system tray icon and the boot splash display seemed to indicate that nothing was awry. Second, I have not been able to fix this issue. Even numerous subsequent attempts to reinstall FD-ISR have not remedied the problem. Thinking I have stored a corrupt installation file, I tried to re-download the file from the Raxco website using my order number to no avail. It keeps taking me to this screen:

http://dustinallen.com/Wilders/website.JPG

Normally, I would classify this as completely unacceptable. However, due to the fact that I’m in love with Raxco, I am going to withhold this classification with the hope that something will be done about my current dilemma and ask that something also be done about the method used to allow customers to re-download software.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this mess, I would be glad to hear. In case people want to know the other software on my system that may be contributing to the issue, the system consists of a freshly installed and patched Windows XP Professional with no other software. Not a lot to blame this one on.

Below is an additional error message that occurred when I tried to disable the pre-boot screen.

http://dustinallen.com/Wilders/Pre-boot_Error.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never had that problem with FDISR and I create the MBR-floppy after my creating my second snapshot.
    I don't think I will ever need that MBR-floppy, because the MBR is always restored by Acronis True Image.
    But I agree that this isn't supposed to happen.

I still can download my installation file at Raxco. It could have something to do with the non-payment for support.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have seen similar errors one time on my system.
    I blamed it on a conflict with my antivirus software that I was beta testing.
    What I did was a fresh installation (I'm sorry to hear that you just did that, you may loose some more precious time). Then I created a disk image before I installed FD-ISR. (disk image for you never know).
    The error messages never returned. Not even after I continued the beta test.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Dallen, in what order did you install your programs. When I set my system up two years ago, FD was the very second program that I installed; WindowsXP was the first!

I did it that way in case I had any problems with any of the other programs, AV, etc., then I could use FD to get completely rid of the troublesome program. :cool:

Acadia

5. ErikAlbert

I installed winXPproSP2 first. Then "Total Uninstall", because TU monitors all my installed softwares after winXPproSP2 and then FDISR.
    After that I install the softwares, that don't need internet to work properly, like PerfectDisk, Acronis True Image, MS Office (Word, Excel), Snagit, etc.
    After that I install the softwares, that need internet, like Firefox, Thunderbird, ...
    After that I install all security softwares, like Firewall, Scanners, ...

So I create first an OFF-LINE computer and then an ON-LINE computer.

Very soon I have to do this all over again, because I couldn't find a good registry cleaner and I need that registry cleaner from the very beginning.
    Last week, I finally found one : StompSoft Registry Repair, the most aggressive registry cleaner, I've ever seen, but it has all the functions I need.

Re-installing your computer from scratch has some good advantages.
    - creating snapshots, that have never been on-line and therefore clean.
    - creating archived snapshots at the right moment
    - creating templates at the right moment
    - creating several special images with ATI at the right moment
    The installation isn't difficult, choosing the right moment is something else. :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You know, Dallen, if you really want to start all over again, FD lets you create a blank Snapshot and allows you to install Windows from scratch, that way, you still have your "old" operating system to fall back upon until the newly created fresh one is completely ready to become your new operating system. :cool:

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/fdisr/fdisr_faqs.cfm#14

Acadia

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I will attempt to answer every question here. I had installed some other programs prior to installing FD-ISR. However, what I am doing is building a series of Image for DOS restoration disks.

First disk contains just Windows XP Pro fully patched + essential hardware drivers.

Second disk contains the same + Office 2003 fully patched.

Third disk contains everything except security softwares (AS, AV, FW).

Fourth disk contains everything.

8. ErikAlbert

Grosso modo, I do the same thing with ATI. My external harddisk is big enough to keep special images and daily images.
    I just don't understand why FDISR has problems NOW, while the very first installation of FDISR didn't cause any problems.
    FDISR shouldn't have any problems, even when your harddisk is already installed.
    Or your installation file isn't the same anymore or you have a different computer, that doesn't like FDISR.

Normally Raxco provides a link to access your personal account :
    https://cart.raxcoestore.com/cgi-bin/pages/login/ml=EN
    Raxco sends you a password after you bought FDISR, to get access to this personal account.
    Once you have access you can download your installation file again.

I also paid an additional 12,06 EURO for Raxco Product Support.
    If you didn't pay that amount, it could be possible that you don't have a personal account, but I'm not sure about that.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

No offense, Erik, but that is not a helpful statement. I got similar statements (not from you) when I reported my problems with FDISR -- the inference being: "Since I don't have that problem, there is something wrong with YOU &/or your computer.":p

10. ErikAlbert

Indeed it's not very helpfull, but I noticed that the serious problems with FDISR are never solved in this forum. The users don't even understand the error-messages, including ME.
    Raxco solves the problems with FDISR, so it's quite useless to mention serious problems here.

11. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I am in contact with Raxco now. For one, I did not pay the extra amount for software assurance originally. Since I like Raxco's products and support so much, I called today to and bought it.

Raxco, as always, is being extremely helpful in helpiing me with this problem.

Actually, I think that some more information needs to be added to this thread. About seven months ago I attempted to change the way my system was set up. Rather than set my system up on two HDs configured in a RAID 0 configuration, as usual, I decided to give RAID 1 a try. It seemed to work like a charm, at first. However, I quickly noticed that when I tried to install larger programs, like Nero 7 for example, during the installation process I would sometimes observe CRC errors. This issue would sometimes correct itself during a second or third attempt at the installation. After some research and consulting some of my favorite forums, I attributed the issue to the RAID 1 configuration. It seemed that the disks were having a difficult time writing the data with complete integrity. To make a long story short, I have since started over configuring my system using the old RAID 0 setup and have not observed the issue since.

Getting back to the issue at hand, I think that my "Program Storage" folder was polluted with a corrupt FDISR installation file during that time and I did not realize it until now. I am going to attempt to re-download the FDISR installation file, restore an image using Image for Windows to a time before having installed FDISR, and install FDISR from the newly downloaded installation file.

12. ErikAlbert

Dallen,
    I only can add this.
    According my readings in the Acronis Forums, ATI could have problems with RAID=1, but not with RAID=0. It seems that RAID=0 is as good as having no RAID.
    Because I wasn't a gamer and also not interested in graphic applications, I had no advantage at all to use RAID=1. A member also warned me that RAID could cause problems in combination with softwares like ShadowUser. My technical knowledge isn't big enough to handle such problems.

So I dropped the whole RAID-issue, because I didn't want to take unnecessary risks with Acronis True Image. It also means that I have no experience with RAID=1 and FDISR, because I bought FDISR after ATI.
    With RAID disabled, I never had any problems with ATI or FDISR.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've had no issues with Raid 0 with FDISR,IFw/IFD or ATI(imaging only)

Pete

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

As I said before, I had a similar error. And there is no RAID controller in my system.

15. ErikAlbert

That doesn't mean you had the SAME problem.
    Only programmers are able to find the exact cause of a problem, not the users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.