Trouble with backups and schedules

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Davidj, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

Acronis True Image Home 2009, build 9707, Windows Vista Ultimate SP!, 32 bit.

For reference, I am using the methodology described by Vlad V, post #4 here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228046

This method allows me to schedule 7 full backups, and when the eighth is made, the oldest backup is deleted. I have had two days where the "consolidation" part of this part has not worked (IMO). It still creates a full backup, but it doesn't drop the oldest full backup.

When I look at the logs for the days that do drop the oldest full backups I see the following:

My Full Backup1 (Tuesday, June 15, 2009 12:10:01 AM

1. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:01 AM Operation My Full Backup1 started
    2. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:03 AM Analyzing partition 0-0...
    3. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:03 AM Analyzing partition C:...
    4. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:04 AM Analyzing partition D:...
    5. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:04 AM Analyzing partition 0-0...
    6. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:05 AM Analyzing partition E:...
    7. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:06 AM Analyzing partition F:..
    8. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:07 AM Create Incremental Backup Archive
    From Disk 1 To file: "F:\Fullbackup(32).tib" Compression normal
    9. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:07 AM Pending Operation 138 started:
    "Creating partition image"
    10. Information 6/15/2009 12:01:07 AM Locking partition C:...
    11. Information 6/15/2009 12:12:23 AM Pending operation 138 started:
    "Creating partition image"
    12. Information 6/15/2009 12:12:38 AM Locking partition D:...
    13. Information 6/15/2009 12:12:38 AM Pending operation 135 started:
    "Saving partition structure"
    14. Information 6/15/2009 12:12:38 AM Consolidate Backup Archive
    Location: "F:\Full Backup(33).tib" Destination. Fullbackup(33)_32E10B..
    15. A red circle with an X in it and the work Error 6/15/2009 12:12:38 AM
    Backup date was not found.
    16. Information 6/15/2009 12:12:38 AM Operation has succeeded.

On the two days where the consolidation part did not work, the log looked
    just like that above, with the exception that lines 14 and 15 above were omitted. This left the log with 14 entries, and it still said the "Operation has succeeded".

Has anyone that is using this method had a similar problem? If so, have you determined why tlhis is happening? Why is it saying the operation has succeeded when it did not perform the task that was scheduled? Why did it perform any task other than the one that was scheduled?

I don't think there is a big loss here. In fact, I believe that it did perform a full backup, it just broke the chain and didn't delete the oldest full backup. The latest incident occured on June 16, 2009 and it validated in Windows as well as when the Rescue Boot CD was used. When using the Rescue Boot CD I started a Restore and could see all my drives and I performed all steps except the "proceed" step. When it reached the "Summary" screen it posted the following information:

Summary

Number of Operations 3

1. Restoring partition
    Hard disk: 1
    Drive letter: C:->F:
    File System NTFS
    Volume label: SATA01_C
    Size: 122.1 GB

2. Restoring partition
    Hard Disk: 1
    Drive letter: D:->F:
    File System: NTFS
    Volume label: SATA02_D
    Size: 342.7 GB

3. Restoring partition structure
    Hard disk: 1

I would appreciate help from anyone on this matter.

June 17, 2009 Again, today it did a full backup, but not the scheduled full backup that is supposed to delete the oldest backup and leave me with 7 full backups. I now have 9 full backups, the last 2 do not have the consolidation part in the log, it did not work, or was omitted. However, under Windows, it did validate. I only have space for about 3 more full backups in my archive.

Should I delete my scheduled tasks and start over. I am unable to figure out why it stopped doing the consolidation part of the scheduled task. Any suggestions at all. Sure would like to hear from Vlad V or anyone else using this methodology.

JUNE 18, 2009 Same thing again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Hi Welcome to the forums.

First are you sure that you are using build 9707? Press the ALT key to get the menu to find out.

I have never heard of this version. Perhaps you have build 9709 or its an non UK version.

This sounds like the bug that I reported to Acronis 5 months ago but have got no where with. All Acronis did after 2 months was say do I still have problem. I have not rewritten the code for them and they have not fixed the bug so its still there. I have even mentioned all this in a previous thread.

I think that get the same issue : A full daily scheduled backup which should be a maximum of 10 full backups. But I am up to over 30 at the moment. To get round this people have suggested using bat files as a post backup operation.

One way I use as a work around is to edit the task which then starts from zero backups again. Another way is to just delete the earlier files using explorer.

3. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

jehosophat;

The build is 9709, the 9707 was a typo. I would appreciate your informing me as to a location of the previous thread you mention.

Today I sent ATI support a report of my situation and they responded, on the same day. Below is what they had to say:

I understand your issue and would ensure that we come to a quick resolution.

If I understand you correctly, the scheduled task of your ATI Home 2009 has changed by itself and the schedular would not delete the oldest back-up as scheduled; even though it would create the new back-up successfully.

Such issue could arise if the scheduler of ATI Home 2009 is not updated.

To resolve the issue, I would suggest you perform the below mentioned steps: 1) Download and run the scheduler update by following the step mentioned below:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/1518

Check is the issue gets resolved. If not, then perform the following steps:
    1) Delete all the scheduled tasks one by one.
    2) Recreate the scheduled task.

I believe this will resolve your issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will leave your case open until you confirm this resolves your issue. I look forward to your response."

I have downloaded the batch file described in kb 1518. I'm going to try it, but it will be a few days before I will know if it helped me.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.