Trouble with ATI 10 Home and DVD+R DL

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by burgnet, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burgnet

burgnet Registered Member

I can't burn directly from ATI 10 to DVD+R DL. I can burn to RW's from ATI, and I can burn to DVD+R DL from Nero. But when I attempt to burn DVD+R DL from ATI 10, I get this message...

"Error writing the file.

A possible reason may be poor media quality.

Please press Retry to continue with Volume*1 or press Cancel to cancel the operation.: Retry//Cancel"

I bought a pack of 10 DVD+R DL's and have used 6 of them so far with the same result. I was able to use the same discs and burn from Nero without any problem, however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Writing directly to DVDs has always been difficult with TI. I think you have found that DVD+R DL disks won't work for you with TI. Unfortunately, I doubt that you will find any solution.

Most of us use a second internal drive or external USB or Firewire drives instead of writing directly to DVDs because of these problems.

You can backup to a hard drive and then burn to the DVDs using Nero. That's the two-step process, and it works without problems.

3. burgnet

burgnet Registered Member

Thanks John,

I figured as much, but why does Acronis say on their website that burning directly to DVD+R DL is fully supported in ATI 10? If this is such a common problem, then I think Acronis has a modicum of responsibility to remove such statements from its official site.

I didn't purchase ATI because of this statement, but if I had been looking for a utility to burn complete disk images directly to DVD, I would feel very misled at this point.

Anyway, here's what I have done so far. I set up the Acronis zone and did a full backup of the hard drive. I have a differential backup running to DVD-RW's of just my data every day. I want, however, to have a system restore disk in case the hard drive fails.

Can you advise me as to what the best way to accomplish this is? And I'm looking for an actual set of specific instructions. I'm not sure even how to see the backup in the Acronis zone, not to mention use Nero to burn it to DVD. And then what is the restore process in case the HD actually DOES fail?

Honestly, I would prefer someone from Acronis to answer this question because it seems I have purchased a product from them that is failing to live up to its own billing.

Greg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

While you're waiting for the "official" reply, here's one unofficial reply.:D
    To recover if the hard drive dies, first of all that's the weakness of the Secure Zone, you should keep your backups on an external hard drive. With external drives so cheap nowadays, it doesn't pay to use the SZ. Next you should make the bootable True Image Rescue CD. Look for an item in the installed software called Bootable Rescue Media (or something like that). This CD has all the basic Clone, Backup, and Recover functions on it. So with your backup on an external drive and using the bootable CD you can restore that backup to a new drive.

Be clear in your mind of the difference between Clone and Backup/Image as Acronis uses them. The manual or help file should explain these.

Many of us here, including myself, do not use True Image for backing up data files. Personally I prefer to save my data in native format and use Windows Explorer to do a simple copy. If you want some measure of automation for this a batch file using XCopy (with the appropriate switches) or Karen's Replicator will accomplish that. And again, I would advocate putting your data backups on another hard drive primarily, and for added security, burn them to dvd - as data.

I use True Image solely to do Full backups.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Greg you may want to read these guides Need Help? These Beginner's Guides May Fill That Need!.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello burgnet,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that as you mentioned Acronis True Image 10.0 Home supports DVD+R Double Layer as well as DVD+R, DVR+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM. Thus, to investigate the issue you experience we would need some additional information from you. Could you please do the following?

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Create cdrecord.log file the way described in this previous post of mine. Note that under Windows Vista the cdrecord.log file will be created in \ProgramData\Acronis\DebugLogs folder;

- Also save Acronis True Image log, which contains the error message. Log file can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Would also like to give some comments on DwnNdrty's and jmk94903's advices. Please note that Acronis Secure Zone was originally designed for those users who have only one hard drive and do not have a dedicated backup storage (such as external hard drive, for example). Using external hard drive as a backup storage is one of the backup strategies, since the farther you store the backup archive from the original data, the safer it will be in case of data damage. For example, saving the archive to another hard disk will protect your data if your primary disk is damaged. Data saved to a network disk or removable media will survive even if all your local hard disks are down.

Please note that it is not possible to manually manage (delete, copy etc) backup archives stored in Acronis Secure Zone. As well you will not be able to copy backup archive to Acronis Secure Zone. Backup archives stored in Acronis Secure Zone is not accessible by the operating system and applications other than Acronis True Image.

I would also recommend that you have a look at this thread <Couple of Basic Secure Zone Quesitons> and chapter 3.3 "Acronis Secure Zone" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide to learn more about Acronis Secure Zone.

In case you wish to use "two-step" process as jmk94903 mentioned to burn image archives to CD\DVD discs I would recommend that you have a look at this post for the instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  7. jrjrg

jrjrg Registered Member

so what was the outcome of this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.