Trouble installing mbam

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Why is it that during installation my hips informs me that mbam is attempting to control SAS? Thanks.

Edit: To make things clear during the installation of MBAM I received a pop-up telling me that MBAM was attempting to control SAS. Is there any reason for this? Is it normal? Could this be malware? FWIW i downloaded mbam from malwarebytes.org.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Its not malware but MBAM's dev advices against running them both in realtime

3. Dregg Heda

I only have the free version of both apps so that shouldn't be a problem GES/POR.

4. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Both softwares free version come complete with all probuild componentary just that the features are locked until you activate(Purchase)the software.

HTH:)

5. Dregg Heda

SAS starts up with my pc even though real time is not engaged, I assume Mbam will do the same. Does this mean I should have one of the two shut down fully at all times? Surely if both have their real time components locked I can afford two have both startup together?

Oh back to the original topic, I guess its ok for me to allow mbam to control SAS?

6. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Dregg Heda, I think that is for the fact that you are installing new version of the program. Correct me if i'm wrong.

It happens to lately, all the time.
    When i'm updating the versions that are released.

Doesn't matter whether you are installing mbam, sas, antivirus or other program (audio player, video player or anything else).

When i re-install different AV's they are asking for different permissions. To load them selfs, their shields, real time scanners or to access memory or other processes.
    It's same with different types of programs.

It happen to me with my hips, fw or anti-logger.

Even when i have zemana installed, and i re-install some new version from same product it ask zemana for permissions. It's same with HIPS/FW. It's now Obvious, why they call them rule based applications.
    Some driver needs to be loaded or some process to be started.

I think that Firewall should be added last when making installing from scratch, or when you re-install some programs uninstall the FW, and then when you install other programs reinstall the FW again.
    Although you will encounter again for such permissions.

Yes it's o.k to allow mbam to control sas.

And it's not recommended to run two real time AS scanners. I assume you have license for both ??

SAS is light on resources when it's runned real-time, except initial PC startup when it has some peak.

When you are saying that SAS starts with your PC even you check the box not ot start with PC, it happens with me lately. I think that has to do something with latest versions and probably is some bug. And this was not happening to me previously.
    Even when i try to disable it trough SAS gui, or in run -> msconfig -> startup, again it starts itself.
    I don't know whether if it is problem at my side or has to do something with SAS.

7. Dregg Heda

Renegade, there seems to be some confusion about what I'm asking for, Im going to simplify it both for you and the other posters of this thread:

Im currently installing mbam for the first time. I have SAS free installed. It auto starts with my pc even though there is no real time protection. I have two questions:

1) Is it natural for mbam to attempt to control SAS during installation?

2) Neither mbam nor SAS should be run real time together. But I am running the free version of both apps with no realtime protection. Is there any conflict with having them both autostart assuming mbam autostarts like SAS?

Renegade, I assume your answer to question one is that its ok for mbam to control SAS during install?

8. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

This alert is more or less, let's say not user friendly.
    Disable your HIPS program while installing other security software.You can damage the install if not so.

9. renegade08

Yes it is, IMHO.

Wait for others what will they say, but i'm sure the answer will be the same.

No there will be no conflict whatsoever.
    I run them both free versions on autostart and i think most people here are doing same.

10. renegade08

I agree with you, virtumonde.
    Security app should be disabled during installing.

But FW's HIPS, and even anti-loggers are making alerts during install of some program. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

11. Dregg Heda

Alright thanks for all the info guys!

Edit: Virtumonde how exactly could my HIPS damage the install? Could you explain this a little?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I use SSM, but if you don't answer the popups correctly, you can muck up the install. e.g. a couple of screenshots of PrevxEdge install recently. I do not use learning mode when I install a new program.

Attached Files:

13. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Just to add HIPS should not be active(you can use autolearn,or install mode -depending on the HIPS) while installing any software that is from a trustworthy source,not only security.There are many actions ,spawned processes during an installation which happen in less than a second and need total action alloweed.I can say that you are lucky if you mannaged to install all your software with HIPS activated.
    HIPS should be used to control the threat zones (browser,usb,file sharing,media players),or to tighten control only for application that you think can be exploited by some malicious files(pdf reader,office).

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I run SAS real time, and MBAM on demand. Only SAS starts on bootup. You might exit SAS just prior to installing MBAM.

15. Dregg Heda

Thanks for all the replies everyone, also a special thanks to virtumonde for explaining stuff to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.