Trouble Free AV or Suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I know that many here do not like some applications, and some of the reasons seem more prejudice than really factual. However, I do not want to discuss that at this thread.

What are the 3 or 4 least troublesome Security suites at this time?
    Without any intention to argue A vs B, I have some impressions not always borne out from my personal experience.

The major criteria are at least Advanced rating (although I would prefer Advanced+), and install and forget operation. I do not want to consider those that need tweeking.
    At this time I would not consider Kaspersky to satisfy the second requirement.

It seems to boil down to Norton, F-Secure, and Avira for suites.

If AVs instead of suites were to be considered, I would select Avira Premium, Avast, F-Secure, F-Prot, and NOD. I have the impression that those are good at install and forget applications. I might have to add AVG to that group.

My question revolves around the trouble free criterion, and not which is the best of the group. Are any of those troublesome?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I would add AVG security suite to your list of trouble free suites.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Avg is a great choice but I prefer Norton. Install and forget, takes care of everything. And still got the options for the more advanced user if U prefer that later on.

4. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

MY opinion will be
    ESET's smart security suite will be good choice. But dont look at that now because its still in a beta testing stage and it have some problems and i hope those will be corrected when they release it officially.I used it for 2 days and everything worked well.
    I dont know about AVIRA premium security suite but As per as avira AV is considered there r many people who said that it has high false detection rate and it may be true cause when i tested it,it detected some of my files as trojans which i used in past with no problem.still good choice
    Norton will be also a good one but it uses so much cpu resources.
    kaspersky may be better than norton as it uses less cpu resources.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Trouble free AV?
    Avast.
    I use it and have installed it for family and friends with no issues.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well some people concider bitdefender as a trouble free set and forget av.
    install it and it will protect the system and update hourly.
    but i knpw you have some software that wouldnt run along side it.
    but tbh you dont really need anything along side it as realtime.
    my list would be
    nod32
    avast
    avg
    with norton if it still has the live update that can go flakky quite alot or at least used to.
    lodore

7. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Most of AV's are ok. Avast is one I never had no trouble.
    With my Norman a few years ago there was trouble from time to time. Also F-Secure was hard to remove.
    I guess free Avira AntiVir classic is not trouble free since update problems from time to time, but the Premium edition runs just well in my machine.

What JerryM I recommend you is something like Sandboxie, to have your browser(s), p2p programs, instant messengers etc. internet connecting apps to be sandboxed (virtualized). That way does not much matter how good your AV is.

I wonder where you got those andvanced and other rating things, from IBK's av-comparatives tests propably, lol.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, and I appreciate the responses.
    I am not asking for my use, but for some average user, maybe a parent, that would have no interest in security, and would assume that their security program would catch the bad stuff.

I know that there is none that would catch all the bad stuff, but as far as I know the great majority of machines come with either Norton or McAfee. It seems that neither causes trouble to those users, and they do not seem to get infected.

Essentially all the users that I personally know are in their 50s and up, so they do not visit risky sites intentionally.

I think that if I had to choose, and I hope for additional input, I would choose Norton. The developers seem to have been able to provide about as trouble free application as is available at this time.

Please continue with comments as you desire.

Thanks,
    Jerry

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Regarding NIS '07's resources, if you consider 7.2MB RAM usage excessive, you must be on a low end P1 or less, lol.

The only setting I had to change in NIS was to not to ignore low-risk items (which I am assuming it is referring to tracking cookies) during it's scans. And I have yet to have a problem with LiveUpdate but I remember having problems with it in the '04 version.

Jerry, I am sure you already know this but this is for the others--in F-Secure all you have to do is enable HTTP scanning and to change the Protection to Custom so you can adjust settings such as the firewall. Though it used 13 processes I never felt an impact other than POP scanning.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye we all know norton resource usage has improved and 7.2mb ram usage is fine.
    it still has those nannyness about it thou.
    why cant symantec give out the client versions to home users?
    just rename it and give out the same program.
    kaspersky give out the same version to home and business so do eset etc.
    whjy cant symantec?
    and macfee?
    lodore

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I would choose NIS 2007 in that case. With AVG's security suite there have been a couple of programs that I need to create firewall rules for... If the user has no interest in doing this then I would pick NIS...

12. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I haven't noticed any high CPU usage or spikes so far. The only high CPU usage I have encountered so far wasn't Norton's fault but had to do with the Dreamscene Extra in which I don't use anymore (it is a beta, hopefully they will improve it).

NIS '04 on my computer was like watching a slo-mo video (the image of the Six Million Dollar Man running comes to mind, lol). '07 is like watching normal speed video.

13. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I can only agree with Norton to be your choice. You could install it and never look at it as it basically does not require ANY user input unless you change that in the settings. It has low memory usage and there is no excessive CPU usage in the 07 version at least. I had an aversion towards Norton products for quite some time, but I feel pleasently surprised by NIS 2007 and even bought it.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

as far as stable and trouble free I would go with Norton.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All. Norton was what I expected, since it is installed on so many new computers, and operated satisfactorily for the average user who would not frequent this and similar forume.

I appreciate the advice.
    Jerry

16. Carzpurzkey

Carzpurzkey Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7 seems good,and kis 7 is also not bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.