Trouble extracting files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by flyaway, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyaway

flyaway Registered Member

I am using Acronis TI 9. My computer recently failed but i had made a full backup archive 5 days ago on an external USB HDD.

I have manually set up Windows again, because i could not get the Acronis boot cd to recognize the external USB HDD. Now, in TI, i am unable to RECOVER the files when i utilise the RECOVERY function because it claims the file is damaged. (The archive was checked after backup and was fine). Moreover, the external HDD was verified to be error-free with chkdsk.

Problem 1. So, i have attempted to plug the image which worked. However, the recovery of files from root folders, does not go smoothly, and my computer hangs when the transfer takes place OR transfer is incomplete.

Problem 2. I am attempting to extract files from MY DOCUMENTS, but i get an a ACCESS DENIED message. I realise this is caused because i am extracting from my password protected account. I have to transfer PERMISSIONS to myself to access the folder. As i am using windows home, i can only go SAFE MODE to change the permissions. BUT, in SAFE MODE, TI CANNOT PLUG the image.

What am i to do?

Many thanks.

2. flyaway

to add, the reason why it cannot plug the image, i think is because in SAFE MODE, services cannot be run, so the acronis scheduler cannot load.

3. flyaway

also, i am able to transfer some files out, but most of them cannot be transferred as mentioned earlier.

please, help. the family photos in it are very precious. thanks again

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Remove the drive from the external box and mount it as an internal drive in your PC. This way you get rid of any problems that MIGHT be caused by the USB stuff.

5. flyaway

I've done the same thing by transferring the .tib file to my second SATA HDD. Still the same problem.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

"Bump" posts removed - please refrain from making posts without content.

7. flyaway

I wouldn't do that if someone would answer my query.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

flyaway

Give your posts some time to be addressed. This is a busy forum.

9. seekforever

Is this an image backup or a Files and Folders backup?

If it is an image, can the image be restored to another drive rather than try to mount/plug the image?

If the disk structure was going bad when you made the backup then it could be that it is impossible for TI to make sense of it.

Do you still have the original drive and contents such that you can maybe get files off it?

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

flyaway,
    I realize "the horse is already out of the barn" scenerio, but this is why many on the forum suggest that you create the User Rescue CD and then perform backups, etc from that CD just make sure everything is functional.

Can you have someone else create a Rescue CD from the newest version using the full Acronis Home Version. Booting from this CD should allow you to see your external drive--if it is a normal USB connection.

11. flyaway

Its's an image backup. The original drive? No, i had reformatted it to reinstall Windows, which is the terminal i am typing from. I did not have another computer with me and i could not use the external hdd since it contained the image which i though could allow to restore the files later.

12. flyaway

You mean the Boot CD? When my computer failed, i tried booting from the Boot CD but it did not recognize the external hdd.

13. rodyz

rodyz Registered Member

I want to join this thread. I have a rescue CD, my USB-drive is recognized, the archive of the system and my program partition were proved successfully, but when I start recovery from the recovery CD I also get the message "archive is corrupt". And I am really pissed by the "feature", that prior to recovering TI deletes a partition first and then validates the archive (if I use this option). So instead of a malfunctioning program partition I now got no programs at all :mad: .

Plugging the images and trying to extract all files failed too, the message is bla bla I/O errors bla bla concerning a lot of files.

It seems to me that TI completely destroys the partition table. I could not edit it e.g. with linux fdisk or cfdisk to rescue the deleted partitions.

By the way: I originally had 3 partitions. 1. system, 2. programs, 3. data. When started and failed to recover with 1., TI also deleted 2. Only 3. remained intact.

Any ideas, folks ?

14. flyaway

Dude, i have the exact same problem with you, together with those I/O errors. Weird, but it feels good to know someone else in the same situation as me.

15. seekforever

If you select "Validate archive before restoring" in the boot CD version, it is supposed to validate the archive before destroying any partition tables and if the validate fails it is supposed to stop. Are you saying this is not the way it worked?

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flyaway,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3633.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD and see if Acronis True Image recognizes your external USB hard drive.

If your external USB hard drive is not recognized when computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either then please also try to use the next tips:

- Try unplugging all unneeded USB devices when booting from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD;

- If your external USB hard drive is connected to the computer through a HUB then please try connecting it directly;

- Try connecting your external USB hard drive through another USB port(s).

If nothing of the above helps then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt file) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please also let us know the exact vendor and model of your external USB hard drive.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

As a possible workarounds we suggest that you copy the image that needs to be restored from your external USB hard drive to any other location, i.e. any other external, internal or networked drive that can be successfully recognized in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment (when using the 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager as known as 'F11 feature') or use Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE to create a CD that allows you to boot into a Windows-like environment. In case of using BartPE based CD you will be able to load the appropriate drivers for your external USB hard drive so that it will be recognized properly.

Assuming that you are able to "see" the beforehand created backup when your computer is booted either from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD or BartPE based CD containing Acronis True Image plug-in we recommend that you validate this particular backup archive by means of the embedded Validate Backup Archive tool.

If the backup archive validates successfully then please restore it.

If the backup archive validates as corrupted both from under Windows and when using Bootable Rescue CD or Bart PE CD then I'm afraid it can not be restored. The only possible way to recover the data in this case is to mount the image by means of the embedded Mount Image tool and restore individual files and folders (see Chapter 11 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide for details). However, we can not guarantee the success in this case. If your computer "hangs" when you try to copy individual files and folders from the mounted corrupted image archive then please try to avoid copying files and folders the process "hangs" on.

Ad for the "access denied" error message appearing upon the attempt to copy some files\folders from the mounted image archive, please see this FAQ article explaining the reasons and possible resolution for this problem. Besides of the instructions provided in this FAQ article you can also try becoming NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM on Windows 2000/XP/2003.

When you will have things sorted out please create new image archives saving them to your external USB hard drive both when the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Then please validate the resulting image archives both from under Windows and using Bootable Rescue CD. Please let us know if Acronis True Image continues to create corrupt backups. We will certainly provide you with the further instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

17. rodyz

rodyz Registered Member

This option first deletes the partition, then validates the archive. If the archive is corrupt, the operation stops, leaving you with a destroyed parttion table as described.

Try yourselve. If you watch the process, you will see, that deleting the partition is the first step, whatever archive you use (corrupt or not). Crazy, isn't it.

Fyi: I used build 2293

18. Acronis Support

Hello rodyz,

I'm afraid that your build is outdated. Please download and install the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Usually, Acronis True Image verifies your image integrity and only after that deletes the partition.

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

19. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Okay, he gets a newer build, but is the statement correct that the destination mft data/partition data is deleted and THEN the image to be restored is verified?

I once forgot to use the quiet=apci [or whatever that frigging manual command is] and although I couldn't get a restore from the source the destination partitions were obliterated. So it seems that ATI can obliterate a desitination disk even if it cannot access a good source file or source hardware.

Inquiring minds want to know. This seems like a critical issue.

20. Acronis Support

Hello shieber,

I believe Tatyana meant that one of the older Acronis True Image 9.0 Home builds contains a known bug: it creates the wrong backup restoration scenario, i.e. deletes the disk\partition first and then verifies the image integrity. This problem is fixed and the current build precisely does the verification first and only after that restores the backup. However, there is still a chance of getting into trouble if you have some faulty hardware. I mean that even if the image archive validated successfully and it's restoration process is started, but network connection is lost suddenly or hard drive cable is faulty then you will receive the error message stating that the backup is corrupted and end up with the destination disk\partition being deleted. In this case we recommend that you try to restore the image once more or place this particular image archive to some other location.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  21. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification.

sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.