trojans or not

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by maddawgz, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hello everyone i managed to get my pc back..after 20 bucks not bad for a reformatt!! anyhow my pc cillian keeps picking up hp/bin/ prockill or something and terminator? exe..i think theyre part of my hp bin files i have no i idea wot pc cililan 2004 did with them?? because theyre not in quarantine? if i delete these files is it harmfull to my pc?? im a bit tempermental after a reformatt and hope i dont stuff anything else up??..so any advice would be much apprecated thanks....can i set pc cilian to ingore them?..kind regard maddawgz :mad:

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi maddawgz

I did a googlesearch, and some say it's a trojan. Why you don't start by scanning the file(s) in question with kaspersky single file scanner, before you start deleting, and perhaps do a full online scan (links are in my signature :) )

3. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Somewhat late reply to this :p but just downloaded the latest version of McAfee Stinger, and ran it just in case (I'm using it as a backup scanner - main AV is Avast Home on a Win 98 SE system). It picked up a file called EndProcess.exe in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, which it flagged as ProcKill-Cl and deleted before I was able to do anything (the Report Only option had mysteriously been reset to Repair). o_O

I'm upset that I was unable to check this file before Stinger deleted it. I'm about 95% sure it was a F/P, but can't figure out what programme put it there and why. Everything seems to work fine on the PC, though, so it wasn't perhaps an essential system file. I ran a Google search but found nothing enlightening so far... :(

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might take a look here

5. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Hmmm... Now that's interesting. Thanks for the link! :)

Could it have actually been a remnant from an old trojan? I test various programmes on this PC, and although I generally keep it pretty tight on security, things apparently manage to slip by once in a while... :(

Anyway, since nothing seems to have been affected by the deletion, I guess it wasn't really an important file. Moreover, I update most of my programmes very regularly, so if it was in fact something harmless placed there by one of these programmes, chances are it will return with a future update. :p

Thanks again,
    BS :)

6. chew

chew Registered Member

Yes, my McAfee detected Prockill-DF on: 1) CCleaner. 2) Rainlender. 3) Ewido Security Suite. errrmm ... apparently it's a false positive but it's too late McAfee deleted them all. However, all the above apps are still on my system as it only deleted the .exe files that I initially downloaded. D'oh! I just updated McAfee Virus Def and everything is fine now after hours of scanning ... d'oh! https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=107030

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.