Trojans and Spyware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Can anyone explain the difference between a TROJAN and SPYWARE? From what I've read, these threats seem very similar. If I am using TDS, do I really need another app (such as Spybot S&D, or AdAware) to protect against spyware, or am I covered with TDS alone?

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi dazed :),

Actually, both are NOT that dis-similar. Let me explain in simple words. Spyware is any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.

Spyware - users unwittingly install the product when they install something else. A common way to become a victim of spyware is to download certain peer-to-peer file swapping products that are available today. A Trojan Horse is a program which is built to enter your system and once there, to send information out of your computer to a third party (normally a cracker). They can send any type of information and can easily be compared to "spyware". The only difference between "spyware" and a Trojan Horse is that you willingly accept spyware onto your computer, whereas a Trojan is placed either by a cracker, hidden within a virus OR hidden in another program. I think that gave you some Idea. :)

Next , about installing ad-aware spybots other than TDS-3, now you can understand why spyware-removers are needed, as Anti Trojans will ofcourse detect any kinda trojans in your system, but there are exploits on Active-X, pop-up, browser hijackings which are to be removed with these spyware-removers
    Hope that was some help for you :)

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Good answer. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.