Trojanhunter or Ewido / AVG

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by ChrisP, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I own Trojanhunter and AVG Antispyware 7.5 - I dont want to run both. Which offers the best protection against trojans? Im running F-Secure AV and SSM.

Cheers,

Chrisp

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Re: Teojanhunter or Ewido / AVG

In my personal opinion, Ewido is better. Stick with AVG, it provides very good protection. :)

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I owned Trojan Hunter for a year and it caught one malware. If I remember right it was expensive too. I now have AVG (ewido) and run it live. It has stopped some 5,000 items on it's own, and it averages 5 or 6 data miners on a scan. No trojans yet but that's OK. :D

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I've ditched AVG due to their problems on updating. Support is weak atm as can be seen from the forum

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder why somebody will use Trojan Hunter. It is non-signature based I think.( I never tried it so I am not sure if it is good or bad).

What is the benefit of non--signature based application when u need toiupdate it every now and then just like a sigbnature based application.

Any users of TH? Thanks

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

TH is signaturebased.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ah, sorry. I guesssed so as I always see its update announcement as "rules update" so I thought it is non-sig based.
    Never saw any tests of this AT.

8. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I think they were tested in the 2006 AV-comparatives anti-trojan comparative, but TH requested the results be removed as they weren't happy with them, (too low)..

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
    I wonder how they r still surviving.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What problems did you have with updating? I have received at least a few definition updates every day since I bought it last year. :)

11. Londonbeat

You are one of the lucky ones.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170878
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174495
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171812
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163028

FWIW, I don't usually have any problems updating between about 11pm and 7am (GMT), but anytime during the day and it's impossible.

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I use BOclean, free and extremely light on resources.

13. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Great for FP's too! :p

Staying on topic, I would stick with AVGAS since TH has mediocre detection rates.

14. one111

one111 Registered Member

TrojanHunter is the best anti-trojan product in today's market.
    Since Gavin went to work for them he's been adding definitions at a massive rate
    and making other improvements as well.
    The product was always an excellent one but now it's unbeatable
    http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/

15. EliteKiller

ORLY o_O o_O

That review is from 2004. A lot has changed since then.....

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's about the time I got suckered into buying it.:p

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Folks: I used to have them both. That was the time when one time payment good for services years to come. After Ewido's merge w/ AVG, and TH's policy change(charging annual fee), I sticked w/ AVG AS plus (until recent fallout due to updating horror). During those happy years, both,IMO, run neck to neck, although a review in 2004 put AT as first place,Ewido as a second. Ewido now is with much larger company, more resources available(although recent development has exihibited just opposite), while TH is still a stand-alone app, nowhere to run for cover should their ceiling fall apart. For the long run, if I have to make a cruel choice between them, I would say sorry to TH. TH's glory days are numbered. I would not be surprised that TH is merged into some wealthy uncle's profiles sometime very soon.

18. Londonbeat

Is there any evidence to back this statement up? The last credible test I know of with TH in is the av-comparatives anti-trojan comparison back from March 2006. AFAIK, Trojan Hunter asked for the results to be withdrawn because they scored so badly.

19. ghostriderg

ghostriderg Registered Member

Hi all,

I have used TH since the early days of tds and tauscan and have not regretted my choice, since it is still there alive and kicking. However I have been aware of two tests where TH has been withdrawn for some reason or other.

Since Gavin was taken on, updates have been more frequent, sometimes two or three times in a day and you no longer have those massive dial-up-time-sapping updates that there use to be.
    But comparatively ewido has caught more malware -be they few and far between- on my box than has TH.

What erks me with TH is that originally it started out as shareware with a lifetime license and then suddenly it turned into an annual fee to which everyone had to pay.

In the time it has been an annual fee based app:-

yes - we have continual and daily updates ( well done Gavin!!)

No - we have not had any software improvements

It makes me wonder when I see members of the TH team here, in the forum, asking questions as to when a particular application is going to be updated (I'm thinking GhostSS) whilst v5 of TH is yet to emerge. Now I could be wrong about this and v5 has come out, but I have received no notification of such and the last time I checked the forum about v5 this subject seemed to be covered in tumble weed -metaphorically speaking of course.

Now, I'm not saying that TH is no good in it's present incarnation, but, it could do with an up date to make it so much better than it is at present and if anyone can do it Magnus can, we just need to see the evidence.

TTFN

ghostriderg

20. one111

one111 Registered Member

"That review is from 2004. A lot has changed since then...."

That's not true, this review and the others are updated on a regular basis and changes are noted (as can be easily seen by careful reading there).
    This review represents the present day situation.

I've been using the product for years and NOTHING has ever gotten past it's
    protection.

21. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Can you please quote the bits that say it is updated? What I see is this:-
    In any tests I have seen (such as they are) TH has always bombed and been down amongst the dead men. (eg the Virus.gr tests). In the only decent test I've seen (AVComparatives) TH was withdrawn because it compared so poorly with AVG-AS etc.

I don't think TH has anywhere near the sig numbers that AVG-AS has and I don't think it finds as much.

22. EliteKiller

That's no different than someone saying they've been using eTrust AV for years and have never been infected. All that generally concludes is that you're probably exercising common sense when you are in front of the pc. It tells absolutely nothing about the detection rates of the product in question.

How do you explain Mischel/TH asking AV-Comparatives to remove the published test results that were lower than expected?

If nothing has slipped past your bulletproof copy of TH then I would be interested to see the scan results of SAS and AVGAS on your pc. :p

23. one111

one111 Registered Member

Quote- Can you please quote the bits that say it is updated?

TDS-3 Note: This product was discontinued by the developer on 22nd July, 2005 (obviously updated from the original in 2004)

By the way, I want to point out an important section there:

"One of the tricks used by modern trojans is to hide themselves within normal processes that form part of the Windows operating system. Trojan Hunter however scans for these interlopers and can kill them off without bring down the process within which they are hiding. The only other anti-trojan products that detect process injecting trojans are TDS-3 and Ewido and neither can reliably remove these trojans without causing a system crash.".

24. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I think you are deluding yourself one111. Actually the version of ewido tested was 2.5, an early release of a developing product. That is apparent from this quote:-
    The capabilities of ewido's cleaning has improved since version 3, which was three years ago!

But to get back to TH's abilities, I will give but one example taken from here:-

http://www.malware-test.com/
    I know this may not be a good/fair example, but there are others and I ask you, would you rather have an app that scores 88.50%, or one that scores 0.00%. Ewido finds more, I've made my choice and you've made yours!

25. one111

one111 Registered Member

TrojanHunter never claimed to be an anti-spyware program
    so I don't really understand what the purpose of bringing that
    anti-spyware detection report.

But the way, Gavin (the mind behind TDS-3) who is an acknowledged expert in the security field and the best around regarding Trojan detection and cleaning is the force behind TrojanHunter. I hope you appreciate the implications of that alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.