TrojanHunter or Boclean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by frank4553, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank4553

frank4553 Registered Member

Hi all

What are peoples thoughts/experiences of TrojanHunter and Boclean?

Which is best?

Have got a trial version of TrojanHunter but am unable to find one for Boclean.

Would like some views before jumping in for TrojanHunter.

Frank4553

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

My preference would be for Boclean as it complements TDS-3 which is my primary on-demand trojan scanner. Both use different approaches in their scanning processes so it makes me feel more secure. I also use TrojanHunter for on-demand scanning when I think there may be something on my system and want to be sure my system is clean. Ditto for Ewido. Sometimes TrojanHunter will detect some minor adware or cookie problem that the others miss. I think over the next year, as I get more familiar with some of the products, I will reduce the number of products I subscribe to.

In so far as "catching things", KAV seems to be the best, but I use it for on-demand processing since it doesn't get along well with other resident programs that I have in my system. TDS-3 would be second on my list. NAV also does a good job, though minor malware does get through sometimes. So I am glad I have the backup on-demand programs.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

There isn't one but Boclean does have a 30 day money back guarantee though.

snowbound

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

BoClean=Trojan Defense. I hear nothing but good things about TDS-3 from all forums I fly in. Only personal experience with BO. ;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  5. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I've tried both trojan hunter and boclean. Imo you can't go wrong with either one. Both are excellent anti trojan software, just as td3. I picked boclean over trojan hunter. I've been running boclean for about a year now. It's a set and forget software, and is extremely light on system resources. I'm running it along side kav right now. Maybe overkill, since kav is so good at detecting trojans. :D

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Very much agree with the comments of Mr2cents. They mirror my experiences.

Rich

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I am a registered user of all Boclean,Tds3,and Trojanhunter.The one i use least is trojanhunter,the one i wouldnt want to be without is boclean.TDS3 is a nice compliment to boclean though because of on demans scanning and various tools it comes with.Be aware that boclean has no GUI to speak of and no on demand scanning options like Tds3 or trojan hunter.If your used to a scanning gui ,and lots of extras then you may be disappointed with boclean ,however it is slightly ahead of the others ,in detection.... in my opinion
    ellison

8. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I am a registered user of BoClean and Trojanhunter. I believe that BOClean's detection is a bit better than Trojanhunter's. Also, I tend to agree with the statement by BoClean's developer that most people already have an antitrojan scanner in the form of their AV program and that a memory resident guard is all that's needed. That said however, I believe you can't really go wrong with either.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I completely agree with you profhgs and the developer has always given me excellent support too. BoClean was not happy on my ME OS with Norton System Suite and ZoneAlarm with only 128MB of RAM. Kevin worked with me by email until we got it right. That was version 4.10. Except for the minor easily fixed problem in my thread list in this section, I have never had any problem with it on XP. I did put in another card putting me at 256 RAM. Kevin took a look under the hood of my PC activity and processes and how BO was interacting said NORTON was hogging a lot of resources. I think how we solved it was he told me how to pause the program a milisecond or two to keep it from locking my system up. You have to look at the circumstances I have listed I was just overloaded even for resource light BO. Oh yea I think I had ADSubtract running too at that time. Any way he gave me all sorts of advice not even related to BoClean.
    :D

10. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

Trojanhunter is pretty good.

Boclean combo with Tds-3 is much better for AT.
    Nod32 for AV. Mix in some Process Guard and
    you're good to go.

ch33rs

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

can we get boclean..trial anywhere..love to try it...but ya know same story $$$$$$$$$$$$ :doubt: :doubt:

12. ahulett

ahulett Spyware Expert

Do note that TrojanHunter is expanding into the adware arena. That hasn't been mentioned that yet.

Other than that, I leave you to the unbiased opinions of others.

Aaron

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I saw it in the update section. nice, adware...

Thanx

14. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

Boclean seems to be, by all reports, a very good AT. But I’m very much biased in the favour of TH. I very much appreciate the fact that a real-time memory scanner is all important to catch files that have been packed in some devious way preventing detection by a Trojan scanner. TH has such a program in the form of TH Guard. But just sometimes it’s nice to have the ability to scan files. This is probably proved by the number of people who own an additional AT along with Boclean to give them this function. For your money you get both types with TH.

Also with Magnus’s latest acquisition – Aaron – TH is rapidly increasing its talents in adware detection with the ability to remove items most adware programs would find difficult. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11545552~mode=flat

But whichever program you decide on (TH or Boclean), you’ll have bought yourself a decent AT. :)

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

All three of them, TDS-3 and BOClean and TrojanHunter, are nice programs.
    I have all three of them :)

16. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Will a future release of BOClean have an on demand scanner? Can you put TH on 2 computers like you can BOClean? If you had to choose one or the other, which covers more bases? Take into consideration improvements with the next release. Which of the 2 uses less resources?

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, BOClean 5 is in development and will have an on-demand scanner. The upgrade is free (if memory serves me correctly) if you buy BOClean 4.11.

Regarding TH, this from their site:The current version is 4.0 (Build 890)
    Price (single user license): US$ 49.

I don't know which one who uses the least resources, on mine BOClean uses around 6 mb, and i never really notice it except when it catches something of course. ;) :)

Hope this helps

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I use BOclean in combination with TDS and am very satisfied with both programs. TDS is without doubt a well supported scanner etc and I always have had very good help on this forum and directly from Diamond.

I have recently started to use BOClean and wondered what sort of support/help I would be able to avail of if necessary. I was very impressed with the e-mail support I received (almost by return) to an issue I had with one of the updates recently which affected my browser. I would standby the fact that the writes of this little application support their customers problems directly and you do not need to 'hope' they will answer. Their customer support is excellent. I do not even notice the resources this is using ;) my only problem is I have to lower my router firewall to get my updates and then secure it again.

19. FanJ

FanJ Guest

if you like you can also manually download/install BOClean-updates :

http://www.nsclean.com/update.html

scroll down to the HTTP download possibility

at the moment I am in a hurry, sorry

20. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Can you use one download of BOClean or TH for more than one computer?

21. FanJ

FanJ Guest

BOClean : yes, if you're a home-user then that is allowed !

TH : I'm not quite sure, you have to ask Magnus.

22. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi jon_fl,

For Trojan Hunter, it's one license for one computer, example, I have 3 computers and I have 3 TH licenses. It is the same for TDS-3 also.

HTH,

snap

23. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I decided on BOClean. Besides the good reviews here, you can install it on more than one computer for personal use. I also understand that the next version will have a scanner. I emailed Kevin today and got a quick response which impresses me that the support is as good as advertised. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  24. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

You couldn't go wrong with either one, jon_fl. And BOClean is a very good choice. I have TDS-3 and TH, and if (when) I purchase another a/t, it would be BOClean too. ;)

Regards,

snap

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Snap for the info about TH ! :)

As for TDS-3 (please be assured that this is NOT meant as an advertisement, just simply only giving info):
    Yes, you're right : you have to have a separate licence for each computer on which you install TDS-3.
    However, in the so-called members-area (only accessible with passwords) at the DCS-site you will see that you will get a discount for each following purchase.

Regards, Jan (registered user of BOClean, TDS-3, TrojanHunter, The Cleaner, Tauscan, and some more).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.