Trojan remover or trojan hunter

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Beefcarver, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

I have Trojan Rremover and want to know how it matches up to Trojan Hunter?
    and how the 2 programs differ from eachother and which one is better and why?

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Trojan Hunter offers both real-Time protection AND On-Demand scans.

Trojan Remover offers on-demand scans ONLY -- no real-time protection.

I used to say "If you practice safe hex, Trojan Remover is probably good enough." Nowadays, however, there are *doomsday-type* nasties, such as rootkits, that if they ever do get into your computer, the only real-cure at present is to wipe your hard drives and reinstall the operating system. Why? Because it is all but impossible to know if you have successfully removed all traces of a rootkit.

A rootkit can only be inserted onto your computer AFTER an attacker has gained control of the system. So the best thing is to try and prevent the attack from being successful in the first place. To increase your chances of doing that, you definitely NEED real-time protection.

Therefore, I would suggest...
    1) That you buy & run BOClean -- it gives great real-time protection, but presently has no on-demand scan. So your Trojan Remover will be able to continue fulfilling that role for you.

2) If you're running XP, then you might also want to get ProcessGuard. I won't discuss its advantages because, although I am a believer, I am not yet a user. Besides, the PG support forum is right HERE at Wilders, so you'd best inquire further with the folks who are experts.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look here at recent threads;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8000&highlight=trojan remover
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=62377
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57146
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57349&highlight=trojanhunter

As to which is the better one, I have no personal experience of either. But of the two, only TrojanHunter is generally cited as one of the best 4 commercial AT scanners ( together with TDS-3, BOClean and Ewido ).

Although a very small test-bed, TrojanHunter performs well here

But which one to choose for trojan detection may also depend upon your resident AV.

If you run an AV which is good at trojan protection, such as KAV/Dr Web/ArcaVir/McAfee, visit low-risk sites and have a good firewall in place, you should be okay in just using an on-demand AT scanner.

Therefore, at the present time, since you already have Trojan Remover, instead of thinking of buying another AT for on-access scanning, why not install and trial some free AT's such as Ewido and A2 as backup to TR?

Although if the explosion of trojan-like malware continues, additional protection to on-demand scans may well be needed in the near future ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

Ok thank You very much. so Trojan hunter would be better because of On demand.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Beefy- I'm not sure if your question was addressed to me or to the Blackcat. If the question was --> me, then I would say that, IMHO, Trojan Hunter (OR BOClean) is *needed* by you because it has a real-time monitor, whereas Trojan Remover does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.