Trojan Horse Virus-Help!!

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by cloggie, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloggie

cloggie Registered Member

Hello forum,

I am writing to you to request some help with a virus (a trojan horse, I believe).

I am running WINDOWS 98.

Somehow I picked it up. I goes like this...

While internetting out of nowhere another IE is opened. The web page is http://aifind.info then the dial up connection gets stopped and in the background another one starts (which is difficult to delete).

A couple of exe's get created in the C:\windows\temp directory xwxload and xldf...

I have tightened my security settings now so no active-x gets automatically loaded. This has helped a bit.

I used your forum and run adware and spybot. That removed over 100 bad things. No I post you my HijackThis output. Maybe everything is OK but would like any advice nonetheless.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 21:46:10, on 04-06-04
    Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.199:cool:
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.51 SP2 (5.51.4807.2300)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
    C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB05.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\REMINDER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\POWERPANEL\PROGRAM\BARTOOL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NIKON\NKVIEW5\NKVMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEMIE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEMP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIRUS STUFF\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\downloaded program files\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] IrMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] c:\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb05.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "c:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [EncMonitor] C:\Program Files\Encompass\Monitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
    O4 - Startup: PowerPanel.lnk = C:\Program Files\PowerPanel\PROGRAM\BarTool.exe
    O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
    O4 - Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView5\NkvMon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004033001/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

2. dave38

dave38 Spyware Expert

Please download CWShredder
    This was written to deal with Coolweb and all its variants.

Download and run the program. Let it fix everything it finds, and reboot.

You are running a very outdated version of Internet Explorer. I suggest that you upgrade to version 6 in order to close many of the security holes.

Run Hijack this again, and post a fresh log so we can deal with whatever is left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.