Trojan Horse downloader Revop A

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Alboy1, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

hi Guys. have now spent days trying to get rid of this thing. Does not show in Panda and avg is unable to clean it. C\restore\temp\A00613294cpx. Any ideas at all sure would be most welcome. Thanks :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You need to turn system restore off then reboot then after reboot turn system restore back on and scan again. rebooting with system restore off clears all of your restore points but it will also get rid of any copies of that trojan in restore. Try this and if it doesn't work we will try something else. Let us know one way or the other. Thank you.

3. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately have no idea what system restore is or how to switch it off....can you advise. thanks Al

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Alboy1,

To clean out your System Restore, do the following:

Turn OFF System Restore.
    1. On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the System Restore tab.
    4. Check the box beside "Turn off System Restore".
    5. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    6. Restart the computer. (You must restart your computer to clear the old Restore Points)

To Turn System Restore back ON.
    1. Follow the above Steps 1 to 3
    2. UNcheck the box beside "Turn off System Restore".
    3. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Then CREATE a new restore point.

Regards,
    Kent

5. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

thanks. Running windows millenium which does not have a restore tab

6. puff-m-d

In Win ME, do the following:

Right-click on the 'My Computer' icon, and click properties.

Click the performances tab.

Click the file system button.

Now click the repair tab and check the 'Disable System Restore' checkbox.

Reboot.

Right-click on the 'My Computer' icon, and click properties.

Click the performances tab.

Click the file system button.

Now click the repair tab and uncheck the 'Disable System Restore' checkbox.

Reboot.

HTH.....

Regards,
    Kent

7. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

Kent I can't thank you enough, really, for a comp idiot like you have been a lifesaver. ran avg and no virus found. Have now tried to install mc fee antivirus but told that still have a norton rescue disk . have done a search and nothing. Any ideas.

8. puff-m-d

Do you have Norton installed on your system?

McAffee is known for not wanting other AV's installed. Be sure you have no AV running resident when you try ti install (ie. AVG, Norton, etc.) ....

Regards,
    Kent

9. bigc73542

I have removed norton to replace it with mcafee and also got the message norton rescue disc was installed. go to add/ remove programs and delete norton rescue disc and restart then you should be able to install mcafee with no problem.

10. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

Thanks Kent but how do I get rid of it as it appears to be in my comp and am unable to locate it. Thanks Al

11. puff-m-d

If you are talking about Norton Rescue Disk. see BigC's post. If not, what are you exactly trying to get rid of?

Regards,
    Kent

12. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

Thanks Bigc but there is nothing showing for norton in my add remove progs. Also dona a search but nothing comes up.

13. bigc73542

If you are comfortable going into your registry you can get rid of it from there. Can give instructions if they are needed

14. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

Instructions please, not even sure what the registry is. Am running widows millenium. thanks

15. bigc73542

One other thought, have you looked in your program files for rescue disc. It sometimes puts a folder there. depending on which os you are running.

16. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

have looked in search, programmes and nothing there.

17. bigc73542

Alboy1 since you aren't familiar with the registry and I am not familiar enough with win ME. I Don't feel comfortable trying to lead you through a fairly complicated operation if you are not familiar with it. One of us might make a mistake and really screw up your os. I wish I could help but I just wouldn't want to take that chance with your computer. Just hang on and I am sure someone familiar with ME will be able to help you.If I had the comp here it would not be a problem but since it is not I will try to find you some help. :(

18. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

No problem, thanks very very much, but if you do know anyone I would really appreciate it. And by the way, do you know of a product like adware 6 that I can use in real time. Happy to buy adware 6 to achieve this but it done via the post and was wondering if there is anything out there that I can download direct. thanks again

19. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Alboy1, I am not sure if I understand what you mean by:

You can download the free version of Adaware6 here:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

You do not have to purchase the AdAwarePlus or Professional versions.

Is this what you meant, or did I miss something?

snap

20. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

Morning :). I have the free download but have been told that it only shows cookies etc after they have entered your comp because it does not work in real time, ie you have to purchase it in order to stop them entering in the first place. Please excuse my ignorance, I am new to all of this.

21. snapdragin

Good morning Alboy1,

I see what you mean now. Yes, that would be AdAware Plus (the version that comes with Ad-Watch the resident monitor), and it is not the free version like you said.

For a free spyware monitor, you may want to look at Javacool's SpywareGuard, which will monitor in real-time against spyware (it is also a good combination to have with SpywareBlaster). You can read more about SpywareGuard in the SpywareBlaster forum here.

I would also suggest SpywareBlaster, but maybe to wait for a little while on that one as the new version of SpywareBlaster3 has had a few problems running on some Window ME computers. It may work fine on your Windows ME if you wanted to try it, or you can wait until Javacool brings out another release for SpywareBlaster to fix any issues some other members have reported on a WinME computer.

You can also look at installing IE-Spyad which will put over 5000 sites in your IE's Restricted Zone. This will help prevent bad sites from doing harm to your computer either from drive-by downloads, browser hijacking, ActiveX, Java, popups, cookies, etc, from compromising your computer if you should accidently surf to one of them.

Maybe a few more suggestions may come up, but hopefully the above will get you started. :)

Regards,

snap

22. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

I honestly cannot thank you enough. I am the classical computer idiot, aswell as being dyslexic, and all of this adds up to an uncomfortable time when something goes wrong. THANKS :)

23. snapdragin

Hi Alboy1,

I know we have strayed off-topic from your thread's original question, but since I have already posted some information to your second question above, I'll just add a few more suggestions here so you have the information in one place.

You asked about blocking cookies. IE6 has a good cookie handler build right in. See this link for more information on how to use IE6's cooking handling options:
    http://privacy.getnetwise.org/browsing/tools/ie6/cookiesadvanced

Also, Spybot Search & Destroy is a free program for removing spyware from your computer, and will also give you 3 types of immunization to help protect your computer from spyware:

1. Permanent Internet Explorer Immunization (similar to Javacool's SpywareBlaster in that it blocks installers by their ActiveX ID)
    2. Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer (blocks spyware that might try and come through by different means)
    3. Miscellaneous Protection: Under this one the option to lock the Hosts file from host hijackers would be recommended. There are two other options under Miscellaneous Protection for preventing someone sitting at your computer from changing your IE's settings, but most of the time you would not need to have those last two checked.

You can install Spybot Search & Destroy and keep your AdAware too. It is actually recommended that you have both since they both are excellent programs and one may catch what the other may not since they update at different times.

There is an overview of Spybot Search & Destroy at the link below, which also includes links to the download and a more detailed tutorial:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial

If you need any help with any of the above spyware protection/removal programs, or setting up your IE more securely, you can open a New Topic in the appropriate forum and many of the members here will be happy to help with any questions you might have. :)

Regards,

snap

24. Alboy1

Alboy1 Registered Member

Thanks a million snap. All seems to be working well. Really, thanks, you probably have no idea how helpful this has all been. Best wishes. Alboy1

25. snapdragin

You are very welcome Alboy1. Glad we could be of help. :)

Best regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.