Trojan Attack on Symantec and Norton

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by white wolf, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Registered Member

For the past week I have been battling what I assume is an infection. This trojan has opened a number of back doors on my computer. Yesterday evening it KO'd my Norton Utilities entirely. I had to reinstall by Norton 2004 just to get back to the point of logging back in to update Norton utilities.

I have been getting 5 or 6 reg edit hits every time I turn on my laptop, which I assume is the trojan at work. When I finally did get ahold of Norton to run an update, I got a warning message that it had found virus files in the windows startup files that could not be deleted and that which would make updates to Norton Utilities inpossible. Indeed, this evening when I went directly to Symantec.com, none of the virus detection tools, querie pages or updates were accessible to me

Has anyone run into this before. I regularly scan my computer (at least 4 times per week) with spybot and adaware, as well as full systems scans with Norton 2006, all of which are updated each time before use. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Coopersmith

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. hoobs

hoobs Registered Member

I am new to these forums, but in the first instance it would be helpful to know which operating system you are using. Hoobs

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  4. hoobs

hoobs Registered Member

If you are using Windows 98 try "scanreg.exe /restore" in DOS mode as a first attempt, if you have not rebooted with the trojan already installed more than twice. As you are connected to the internet, you could try installing a free virus checker after uninstalling Norton. For example, "http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2" Do you have a full copy of the operating system installation disk?

5. cyphex

cyphex Registered Member

regardless of operating system i sugest you change your anti virus to something a little less system hogging. I find norton takes up way more resources than it needs to i use avast (no i don't recommend you switch if you have paid for norton) but in any case the only option i can think of is reformating probably not an option for you or going on an online virus scanning site such as house call

if you happen to come across the name of the trojan (not likely since it has pretty much screwed you over) then let me know maybe i can find a remedy

cyphex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.