Tried WSA again to see how things have progressed.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by DoctorPC, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Not so good. Within minutes problems arrived -and that's on a clean box.

1) False positives galore. It recognized Immunet as a rootkit? LOL?
    2) It recognized one of my 'known' programming libraries as a rootkit.
    3) UAC came back on, despite me having it disabled. Why?
    4) Random inability to do 'stuff' happened. One time CTRL-ALT-Delete stopped functioning, and when WSA was disabled, it functioned again.
    5) Strange freezes, and slowdowns. Accessing a rather 'tremendous' file directory completely paused the PC for about 5 minutes.
    6) Browser lockout bug still present. (where you can't type in your browser)

None of this happened without WSA, and these machines are running perfect. The only thing on them was MBAM and APPguard, and Appguard WSA is set to 'power app'. Immunet was fully disabled, and prevented from running prior to testing. Please don't ask for logs. I uninstalled it was quickly as I could. No time to mess with this kind of thing right now. I was hoping some of these bugs would have been addressed.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I tried it few month ago and had trouble-free experience. It was really fast and unobtrusive. Some problems that you experienced might be connected to your configuration and might not be addressed if they couldn't be recreated by programmers. Others (like FPs) can be solved by cloud database update.

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I agree, in some cases, but those FP's are quite annoying. Nevertheless, I realize there are literally millions of potential PC configurations, and a product has to be tweaked to work on every configuration, which isn't always easy. Unfortunately for me, WSA isn't something compatible, while the other 99.99% of what I run is, including advanced 70GB games. So I don't really know what to say.

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Have you opened a ticket over at Webroot forum yet? It would be interesting to see if they could reproduce the issue. Also it would help others that may have a similar configuration. Needless to say I haven't had any issues running WSA. The only thing that still is an issue for me is the Explorer.exe is still running around 240K-280K. Other than that I've had to handle a few FP. I think that I've had more issues trying to configure appguard (which I had used at one point with WSA) than WSA alone. Obviously everyone's experiences are different.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Sorry, HOW they can address supposed bugs if you do not report them? This is a mistery to me ... LOL

You need to report it to WSA, I am sure they can look into it. Otherwise, like for your previous posts, they are not really helpful nor can be fully confirmed :) . Be sure to PM Prevx_help giving the details of your ticket as they were really interested into sort it out or at least understand the source of the problem.

6. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I'm sorry, but DoctorPC has been reporting on issues with WSA for months without any apparent attempt to work with WSA to look into them or correct them. He only appears interested, in my opinion, in reporting issues or problems. I have yet to see or hear that he has submitted a support ticket or sent logs to WSA to be reviewed. He's been asked multiple times to do so and has not; to the best of my knowledge. One only needs to do a search of his posts and what I am saying can be confirmed. I've been using WSA now for 6-8 months and haven't had a single issue to speak of.

7. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I'm not a beta tester for a product I paid retail for. I have no interest, or time to test another product, or to open tickets, and submit bug reports. The last time I ran WSA I opened over 11 tickets in one week. Only 2 were responded to, and it was a 'form' letter. It's not difficult for WSA folks to see it detects Immunet as a rootkit, and removes it. Anyone can check that. This post should be considered a 'report' of that false positive. I don't really want to start a process where I am devoting a lot of time to a product, and submitting tickets for everything.

Of course it's always 'my computer'.. When I brought up AVIRA killing boot times, everyone kept saying it was my computer. Now that 'everyone' has boot issues with Avira, and there are 2 dozen posts about it here, now suddenly it's a problem with the product - whereas before it was my problem. I'm sorry but I run cut and dry, basic, well maintained systems here, there isn't anything unique, or magical about them. I run $1000+ software packages, 70GB games that suck up 6GB of ram, and about anything else - without problems. An AV is the LAST THING I want to be fighting with, and WSA always puts up a fight.

8. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Speaking of this, I also noticed it.. Explorer was spiking MASSIVELY with Webroot running. Did you ever try to submit tickets, or get this resolved? This issue resolved when I removed WSA, so I know it was linked to that.

9. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Sorry DoctorPC to step in this pointless discussion but you don't seem to help things along... That is the least that can be said IMHO.
    Wouldn't you have made yours this proverb:
    "Give a dog a bad name and hang him"? LOL

No offence intended DoctorPC!
    Cheers,
    Herve

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Yep, I thought I was the only one seeing this.

It only takes about 2 minutes or less to download and send logs to Webroot. Next time before uninstalling, Download the Logs so Webroot can see whats going on, if anything.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well i can confirm this on XP/SP2 32 bit

5) Strange freezes, and slowdowns. Accessing certain files, & trying to run certain Apps completely paused the PC for minutes. This happened almost daily. At first i thought it might when i was offline with no cloud connection, but it still happened whilst connected ?

The 6 month licence has recently run out, so i can't test it anymore.

12. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I ran WSA Complete on my 12+ year old Desktop Dell computer Running Win XP / SP-3 32 bit and the computer ran good without problems. Can't test this anymore, I took a hammer to the Dell computer about 2 months ago. Replace it with a new Win 7. :D

13. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Nope. Not here with WSA. I installed Immunet a couple of days ago to try it out and WSA accepted it like a good neighbour. I suggest you look to your PC's configuration not Webroot's to solve this issue.

14. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I know members here can from time to time take a superior attitude...(noobs and us)...But I found WSA to intrusive out of the box, for example, I'm really capable of deciding if I wish to copy and paste a name and serial number into a software I've bought...I really don't need WSA preventing me from doing so!....And it drove me mad with fp's.....And all this was out of the box....No tweaking its settings.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I also experienced this. I had reported it to the Support team. They said it was particular to Win 8.1 and they are sorting it out. They asked me to disable the WSA extension in the meantime. Disabling it solved the problem.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, so apparently DoctorPC isn´t crazy, LOL. :p

17. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I tried WSA several times after its 'improvements' and never found it to my liking....On my system (Win 7 x86) I found it caused general sluggishness throughout...And anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I don't want ANY av that is largely dependent on cloud technology....I prefer the sig based and heuristic approach.

ps.....I think the last time a n AV 'protected' me with a warning was about 5 years ago, any other warning I fully expected it to.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

its not only on win 8.1 i still have clients call me about this on win 7 x64. i actually just had to remove webroot from 4 more systems because they were tired of it doing this.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see.o_O Then it's an epidemic. I hope Webroot can quickly sort it out. I'm keeping faith in WSA. :isay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.