Tried the rest.. now back to the Best! (In My Opinion)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I've been using Avira Premium for the last 3 years, but as it's getting to the remaining 9 months, I've been trying out some others, namely Kaspersky IS 2013/ Bitdefender Total Security/ Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus Plus/ and Avast!

The trouble is, each has a quirk which I'm not too overly fond of :ninja: Such as Bitdefender presenting notifications of vulnerabilities such as critical updates/ weak password detections, and cookie scan warnings (claiming cookies to be infected files) when we all know they're not! :doubt: Kaspersky IS constantly crashing on my Windows 8 Pro on start up (same sometimes with BD) Trend Micro deleting a PowerDVD file which renders PowerDVD useless, and inoperative, and lastly Avast! which is like a shopping centre main windows these days, with Ads galore! :argh:

So back to trusty Avira Premium, which co-exists with Outpost Firewall in a cosy harmony *puppy* I'll be renewing the subscription towards the 6 month mark, if I remember rightly, last time the 6 months was added to the new subscription

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well, I guess you forgot to test one of the best at the moment,Emsisoft.;)

3. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    You know lately quite many of malware infections do not come by way of actual viruses but by other exploits such as old Java and/or Flash versions installed (even though you may have the current version also installed - having older version(s) installed leaves you wide open). So while having a good antivirus program is very important it is also very important to also have some additional good protection as well such as a HIPS and a good anti-malware-type program running too. If you are using Outpost Firewall Suite then that takes care of the HIPS but make sure to have additional protection of some sort. Outpost Firewall itself does not contain the HIPS (if it is remembered correctly). Many antivirus programmes have some additional abilities to detect other-than-viral malware but probably do not provide enough protection without something extra as well.

A brand new computer right out of the box with nothing but an excellent antivirus programme installed on it will most likely result in a necessary trip to the service technician within a short period of time for a malware repair and cleaning.

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Avira being trusty... I haven't heard that one for quite a while.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.