Trialing Online Armor

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by BG, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BG

BG Registered Member

I just started a trial of Online Armor and wanted to ask about compatibility with DSA or Cyberhawk. Is there any need to run either one of these with OA? Or would they be considered a good layered approach? Forgot to add ... I'm running XP Home fully updated behind a router.

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

You don't actually need any more protection than Online Armor. I myself run Pro Security along side it several times without problems, but it can all be different.

You are pretty well covered with Online Armor. Cyberhawk tends to slow down some systems by itself, so hold off for a newer version if you intend to play with it. I think DSA would be too much overlap with Online Armor.

dja2k

3. BG

BG Registered Member

thanks dja2k ... guess I'll trial OA with Avira Premium and see how trouble free that turns out.

4. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

I've been using OA2 with Avira Personal Premium and have been very happy with this combo.

5. BG

BG Registered Member

I have noticed that (on my system at least) running DSA with this combo caused lots of windows errors. Then tryed Cyberhawk and got the same bunch of errors. Seems that OA is happiest when it's in charge. But so far I really like this app. I'm going to go for the full 30 day ride to make sure before I spend my money. Feel like I got burnt by CH people. Paid for CH and it still has a lot of problems (oh well my fault for not checking it out throughly).

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi BG

If you're running multiple security apps then make sure that they each give each other plenty of permission. My advice here is simple: If you are running Security ProgramX and Security ProgramY then make sure that X is given full permissions in Y, and vice versa. While you may be able to lock this down somewhat if you are an expert user, the fact is that security programs are pretty invasive - and they often release updates and change/expand what they do.

Cheers

Mike

7. BG

BG Registered Member

Thanks Mike for taking the time to point this out.

So...... when is OA going to be ready for Vista?

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No worries. We're doing an updated OA2 right now, and while vista support is in the future we're not actively working on it yet. We will be soon, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.