Trialing NOD32: should I unistal AVG

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by philebus, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Hi,

I use quite a few products on this forum (ewido, solveigMM, spyware blaster, acronis TI and DD) and I everyone seems to be putting a good word in for NOD32, so I thought I might download the trial version and give it a go.

Currently I use the free AVG version and it has proven quite effective, and is light on resources. NOD32 also seems to be light on resources that's why I want to check it out. I've head it with the heavies like Norton, McAfee et al).

My question is if I instal the trial version of NOD32 do I have to totally uninstal AVG. I realise I cannot run them both at the same time, but I was wondering whether I can just turn AVG off while I try NOD, and if I don't want to buy NOD then just turn AVG on again and return to the status quo.

thanks

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You need to completely uninstall AVG antivirus before installing NOD32 .
    Goto Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and follow the instructions . Restart .

1) Download a fresh copy of NOD32 for your correct operating system
    Trial version

2) Install NOD32 from the file you just downloaded in step 1
    Use Typical settings

3) Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nodkrn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and Update NOD
    Since you are a trial user you might have issues with updates because trial users have low priority so you will sometimes need to press the Update button a few times in order to get the update

4) This is NOD32's Tutorial written by Blackspear . Learn how to use NOD32 and set it up for automatic work and maximum protection

At the end , perform full scan to make absolutely sure your computer is virus/spyware/malware free:
    Start -> Programs -> ESET -> NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 -> Run NOD32 -> Scan & Clean

Enjoy! :D

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

in a word - yes.

Yes that is to uninstalling AVG. Running two antivirus solutions on your PC is asking for trouble - it can be done if one is setup as an on-demand only - but it is not for the feint hearted, and should not be attempted by anyone who isn't VERY confident of their understanding of the processes beneath their personal computer's hood.

hth

Greg

4. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

There is no way I am aware of that AVG (at least the Free version) can be disabled short of uninstalling it.

I use AVG Free in an on-demand capacity only as well as NOD and have encountered no problems.

If you decide to trial NOD and also wish to keep AVG, I recommend that you first uninstall AVG and then, after installing NOD, reinstall making sure not to include its Resident Shield and E-mail Scanner components.

5. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Thanks for your replies.

OK, I'll uninstall AVG in order to trial NOD32. If it is as good as everybody says it is I won't have to reinstall AVG in any case, for I figure, NOD, + ewido paid version + spybot S&D, plus spyware blaster + zonealarm pro firewall (I don't use the antispyware or email scanners) should keep out any nasties I am liable to encounter.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome ! If you somehow meet problems , don't hesitate to post again here ! :D :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.