Trialing NOD

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JerryM, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I decided to trial NOD, and so far it is a little more complicated than BD, but it is working. A scan took almost as long as BD which takes about 40 minutes. NOD took 30.

I notice that the EMON states Outlook email. I use OE and Thunderbird. Is there some setting that I need to make? I received email through OE, and saw no indication that NOD was scanning it.

Help?

Thanks, Jerry

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

IMON scans POP3 mail as it comes into the computer at the network level. By the time the POP3 e-mail reaches Outlook Express and Thunderbird, it has already been scanned by the IMON module. Note that IMON does not scan IMAP mail.

IMON also scans HTTP traffic as it comes into the computer, before it reaches the web browser.

It is important to know that IMON does not scan secure e-mail or HTTPS traffic. This is because of their secure nature. If it were possible to scan them at the network level, then they would not be secure, and "We would all be rich," as Marcos likes to say. ;)

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hey that's great to hear.
    If you haven't already, it's woth the time to work your way through Blackspears Extra settings for Nod32 v2.5 - revised 17-06-2005. It covers all the settings in all the modules and will help you find your way around.
    Cheers :)

4. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I am a licensed NOD32 user, but I do have an IMON question. My friend and I send each other e-mails with streaming video attachments almost on a daily basis. Just stuff we find that we think the other will enjoy. When I click on the attachment, there are times when the IMON/HTTP scanner icon will pop up in the task bar, before the video starts running, showing that it is scanning the video attachment. When the icon disappears, the video starts. Then there are times when there is no scanner icon. Does this mean that the IMON/HTTP scanner scans sometimes, but not all the time? Shouldn't that icon pop up everytime I click on a video attachment before the video starts playing to show that IMOM/HTTP is scanning?

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

^ That has something to do with the size of the file you are downloading or streaming.
    But it is working, it just switches to compatability mode for some file sizes.
    You can change that in IMON > Setup > HTTP >

Attached Files:

• aha.gif
      aha.gif
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Streaming media players MUST be set to higher compatibility mode by design.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It appears that EMON is only set up for Outlook. I do not use it. Should I disable EMON or not. If so how do I do it?

While scanning there are various entries of error opening file locked. For instance "Doc and Settings\me\NTUSER.DAT-error opening (File Locked)."
    What is this about? There are several entries that are similar.

Thanks for the help.
    Jerry

8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

You can disable EMON if you really want to. Go to the NOD32 Control Center and highlight EMON. On the right side you will see a checkbox to disable EMON.

The "file locked" entries you refer to are actually the files that contain the Windows registry. Since they are in constant use by Windows while Windows is running, they cannot be scanned by NOD32. There are several other files that are also locked for exclusive use by Windows, like C:\pagefile.sys , which is the Windows swap file.

Those entries are perfectly normal, but a constant source of bewilderment for new users.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Alglove,
    Thanks. NOD is not very "average user friendly."
    I knew that from comments before I trialed it, and so will see if I can work my way through some of these things.

I have to wonder that since Blackspear's settings are recommended on the forum, why are they not made default settings? The information is very helpful.

I do find it difficult to navigate through to find something.
    My wife often says that more women should be in on the design of cars. I agree, and maybe some average guy could have some more input with NOD.

Thanks, again. Have a good day.
    Jerry

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It takes a while to remember where all the settings are, but once you know what they do & where they are, you are flying :)

Also, Eset are working on a new version which will include a standard & advanced user interface. Perfect for the regular users & the power users. I'm guessing it won't be long till we'll see a couple of screenshots. After all, it will be revieled at the Cebit show in about 3 days time.

11. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

They've already seen it in action at Cebit, IBK said "it looks nice"

I want to play with it v3 so bad, I'm gonna cry :(

12. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Thanks Brian and Marcos. That helps a lot. :)

alglove...Great answer to that question. I think it is the best detailed answer I've seen to that particular question. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.