Trial version - restore to new Hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by saraleep, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saraleep

saraleep Registered Member

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I've searched for several hours and have not found a fix.

On a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a failing hard drive I downloaded and installed the ATI trial version 9. Created a recovery manager cd and then cloned the 40 gb hard drive to an exteral, USB drive.

Received replacement hard drive from Dell, installed it and booted from the CD. Tried the Restore option which displayed the external drive (with data) as well as the CD drive. I selected the external drive, but the NEXT button was not active.

So I then tried the Clone (to clone back to HDD from external). On that option I get an error stating I have only one drive.

System BIOS recognizes a 40 hdd.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I can no longer boot from the failing drive.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You're mixing up the terms Clone and Restore. In any case try doing an Image Backup (not a Clone) of the old drive to your usb drive, then remove the old drive, install the new one and do a Restore of the Image to the new drive. Imaging creates one file of the Source with the .tib extension. Cloning copies the Source drive to the Destination drive exactly as the Source is.

3. saraleep

saraleep Registered Member

Thanks for your response. The last line of my first post indicates that the original laptop drive no longer boots. So I don't want a backup of that drive. What I have to work with is the Clone that I created before the drive crashed.

The data on the cloned drive (USB) looks accurate. However I do not know if it can be moved to the new laptop drive or if it will boot once that happens.

Any ideas you can offer will be appreciated.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello saraleep,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check your Private Message. Please follow the instructions described in it in order to obtian an additional information that will help us to investigate the problem thoroughly and provide you with a possible workaround.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.