Trial version and updates question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by joggy, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joggy

joggy Registered Member

Hi all - I understand that while using the trial version I may be forced to the back of the line for updates, but wondered if the errors below are commonplace with the paid version. I'm leaning towards the purchase of NOD32 and this is one thing I want to clear up for myself before taking the plunge. As a side note I have gone over to FAQs and searched this forum and don't see a definitive answer. Basically, will I see these types of errors alot with paid version (event log)?

3/9/2005 9:11:27 AMUpdateUpdate attempt failed (Server connection failure)
    3/9/2005 9:11:25 AMUpdateError connecting to server www.nod32.com.
    3/9/2005 9:11:24 AMUpdateError connecting to server u5.eset.com.
    3/9/2005 9:11:22 AMUpdateError connecting to server u1a.eset.com.
    3/9/2005 9:11:20 AMUpdateError connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    3/9/2005 9:11:20 AMUpdateError connecting to server u4.eset.com.

Please note thatat times it has updated without a problem. I left the defaults of Choose Automatically for servers and the Scheduler entry of check one hourly. I'm on Verizon DSL and running XP SP2.

Thanks for any input....

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Joggy,
    welcome to Wilder's forum. Didn't you accidentally enable use of a proxu server? Are you able to ping our update servers? (e.g. by running the command "ping u4.eset.com")

3. joggy

joggy Registered Member

Thanks Marcos - yes I can ping all addresses noted.

No proxy servers have been enabled. LAN settings look good and no default settings were changed after install.

Sometimes it updates fine automatically, at others it just logs similar errors to what I noted above.

4. Marcos

And what about firewall? Don't you have, for instance, WinXP SP2 with the integrated firewall enabled?

5. joggy

joggy Registered Member

I do use ZA free in place of that. Windows firewall is disabled...ZAF version 5.5.062.000 with nod32krn.exe marked with full access.

Now, this afternoon I'm getting password errors on auto update event log:

3/9/2005 15:09:54 PMUpdateFunction: DownloadAuthorization, parameters:
    , return value: 401HPLAP2200\Dad
    3/9/2005 15:09:54 PMUpdateUpdate attempt failed (Incorrect username
    or password.)HPLAP2200\Dad
    3/9/2005 14:12:08 PMUpdateFunction: DownloadAuthorization, parameters:
    , return value: 401
    3/9/2005 14:12:08 PMUpdateUpdate attempt failed (Incorrect username
    or password.)

When I try to manually update via Update module, I am now prompted with a query for User/Password to the u3.eset.com server. This has never happened since installing.

I double check and the Proxy settings have not been enabled. Any ideas why all of a sudden this is a prob updating either auto or manual?

Thanks again Marcos

6. Marcos

Hi Joggy,
    you shouldn't be prompted for username and password in the case of a trial version. Try uninstalling NOD32, downloading a trial version from our website and reinstalling it. It must definitely work.

7. joggy

joggy Registered Member

I'll give it a shot...this one was downloaded from eset.com last Thursday and has worked without a problem until recently. I'll give it a shot though, thanks.

8. joggy

joggy Registered Member

I downloaded trial again and uninstalled/reinstalled newly downloaded one. Seems to be updating okay now (no user/password probs). I'll keep an eye on it.

I really like the interface & how little of a hit it takes on my machine. Hope to replace NAV 2003 with this AV by the end of the month.

9. joggy

joggy Registered Member

Hate to bump this back up, but all was well for a few days and I am now getting the same probs for updates on the trial version. Most recently its the 'Authorization' errors regarding user/password. Also, a manual updae prompts me for User/Password.

I have 14 days left on my trial and really am leaning towards buying a couple registrations for NOD32. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that these types of update probs are not comonplace with the paid version.

Current defs are 1.1027 and not updating anymore...

Thanks for any input Marcos or others.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

They aren't, you won't have an issue with updating while using the commercial version.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

11. joggy

joggy Registered Member

I figured as much. Thanks Blackspear.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.