Trial User: Unable to create bootable CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by elindydotcom, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elindydotcom

elindydotcom Registered Member

Hi:

I just downloaded the trial version of TI and tried to create a bootable CD. Unfortunately, the CD is always blank even though TI reports success in creating it. I can create CDs normally but TI can't seem to do what it's trying to do. I don't know if the trial is not able to create bootable cds - I didn't see that limitation stated anywhere.

So, I guess my questions are:
    1. Is the trial version of TI able to create bootable cd images?
    2. If so, what are the possible causes for TI unable to create the image it's trying to create (assuming that the cd drive is a good drive)?

Any help appreciated.

-eLindy

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Maybe Acronis is now using something similar to Ghost where the files are invisible when viewed with Windows Explorer. Try booting with it and see if it works.

3. pengquadrat

pengquadrat Registered Member

I experienced the same when playing with the trial version a while ago. I assume they have disabled the creation of the CD in the trial version because ... how would you make that CD expire after 30 days?

4. elindydotcom

Thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't boot. :(
    -eLindy

5. elindydotcom

That's a good point. Well that ends my trial experince - ha. I was hoping to try the product out to see how it would handle cloning a disk that was fully encrypted with PGP but I guess I'll have to buy the product outright to find out. Oh well.

Thanks for your response!

-eLindy

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

In that case then Acronis must have changed their policy recently. Do they still say in their description "fully functional Trial ..."?

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Indeed, the Rescue CD created from the trial version did not expire, but the Backup tool was disabled from start and thus the CD unusable on it's own.

So, that's not the reason behind the change, if there was one.

8. pengquadrat

pengquadrat Registered Member

>> but I guess I'll have to buy the product outright to find out.

I think it is money spent worthwhile.
    Consider the trouble and loss you have when some virus corrupts your C-Drive or even when your HDisk will break completely.

In Germany TI 7 came free with the DVD in a Computer Magazine (Chip) and with that version one could upgrade to V 9 for 29 Euro.

Maybe there is something similar where you live or you may buy an early version of TI cheap on eBay and use that to upgrade.

Enjoy the Sunday
    Joachim

9. elindydotcom

Thanks - yes, I did go out to the local computer store and bought a copy so I could almost guarantee getting a bootable cd. It worked beautifully - copying my fully encrypted harddrive. It didn't recognize the filesystem (because of the encryption) so it just did a sector by sector copy which is exactly what I was hoping it would do.

Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help!

-eLindy

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI's trial is fully functional in the sense that all Windows features work for 15 days. The rescue CD only has the Restore function operational. So you can indeed create, verify and restore images. I'm not going to get into a discussion as to that indeed qualifies for "fully functional" but you can do what the program was intended to do.

The rescue CD is linux so you Windows may not see the files properly.

To elindydotcom, you should see if your purchased version is build 2337 which is the latest for the home version. If not, you can get an upgrade at the Acronis site and if you upgrade to a later build un-install the previous version before installing the upgrade. There is a known bug in the installer. Also be sure you create a new rescue CD so it is up-to-date as well.

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

If the TI 9.0 Build 2337 rescue CD has been created correctly Windows Explorer will reveal a folder called "Recovery Manager" containing 7 files, totalling 12MB (see screenshot below). Check the "Properties" of the CD and you should find that there is 28.1MB of used space with 0 bytes free.

Regards

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.