Trend Micro (user opinions)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by madaro, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madaro

madaro Guest

A friend of mine just gifted me a copy of Trend Micro Antivirus 2007 plus antispyware. Looks like a nice program. Installed without a problem, updated quickly and seems to run really well on my system. It has been years since I tried a Trend product, would any current users of Trend Micro like to comment on their experience with this product? Your feedback, much appreciated. Thank You.

2. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i try it on vista and i really like it, the only think that i dint like is, that i cant right click on a file and select scan, but it was run well on my system no slow down, it also found a trojan on my system that my AV NOD32 dont report it

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i havnt tried trend on vista, but on XP it runs nice and brisk, no problems and it does its job, support is v.good too.

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

It is running fine with my Vista. Like Mata7, it found a couple of things on my system that NOD32 missed. I was using F-Secure but since I moved to Vista I needed a compatible suite and got TMIS '07 with a three-computer license for $24. Right now it is the only Vista Certified AV though that doesn't really mean anything. Since this happened so soon after Vista's release, I imagine that they wanted the certification for their recent partnership with Dell (replacing Norton on pre-installed AV software).

All I know is that in the past their detection rate was in the low 90's and a recent firewall test shows it's FW being very good. I would like to see a full test on TMIS '07 myself.

Only two things I don't like, Quick Scan is not in the Vista version yet and I wish they give you the option of turning off TrendSecure's window when you first start the main window. This slows the window opening down because it acceses the internet to display the info in the TS window.

EDIT: I haven't noticed this before, but as Mata7 stated it doesn't have a right click scan. Maybe on their list of Vista fixes along with Quick Scan.

5. midway40

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

seen as it is vista compatible, i might give it a try on my laptop. :D

and maybe put it through its paces.

7. midway40

If you decide to try it, you need to download the Vista-compatible version here:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/product.asp?productid=32

There is a full version and an upgrade version. I downloaded the full version and used the key that came with the TMIS CD (the CD was never used, lol). Or you can install the old version (though you may get warnings about it not being compatible) and then use the upgrade.

EDIT: Corrected link

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

midway, does trend internet security still not allow you to install spy sweeper or other anti-spyware? the previous versions would not install with spy sweeper installed.

9. midway40

I wish I could tell you but as at this time I am not running any other antispyware program. TMIS and me being a User (instead of an Admin) are my only defenses at the moment. I do know that it has a problem with WinDefender and turned it off but I didn't shed any tears over that, lol.

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Ok I installed Spy Sweeper without any problems,and it Scanned with no problem either, Although it did find the exact same cookies that Trend Micro found and said it had deleted, Obviously it didnt If Spy Sweeper found them after Trend had supposedly deleted them. How is the strength of the AntiVirus Scanner in this program? is it Very Good/Good/Average, or just Medium?

Edit: Ner mind! I threw it out, it wouldnt let me send messages with Windows Live Messenger, it told me the person wasent online, well they were cause they were wondering why I wasnt Answering. It resolved itself when I uninstalled Trend

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

TrendMicro antivirus is average. maybe even below average if was tested by Av-comparatives.

12. midway40

Strange, my FW is set to Maximum and haven't had any problems with any IM, Live or Yahoo.

A while ago I installed Spy Sweeper and ran it and it only found a few spy cookies (low risk-plus it has been three days since the last scan). I can live with that, I am more concerned with other nasties out there. I went to a warez site a while ago (just a test--I don't fool around with warez) and TM blocked it

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/midway40/warning.jpg

I will have to say Good going from experience from the past 3 years. What got me to using it was the fact that Housecall is recommended many times on several forums. I started thinking why not run the real thing realtime? I have never been infected and as I stated before it caught a couple of things, a keylogger and a malware, that NOD32 didn't see.

Use whatever suits you, as of right now I am content with what I have.

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Or in certain areas among the best and overall at least acceptable.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Do you have Chat AntiVirus component enabled or Disabled?, It was running ok untill I tried to answer a message on Windows Live, I recieve several messages a day incorporated with my work on Windows Live, so I need to be able to Answer messages. I'm also running Vista Ultimate but with an Administrator Account.

15. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

To midway40
    What is the latest version number of this program?

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I used to use Trend's products in the past up until 2004 when I discovered Kaspersky. In those days it was just PC-cillin, and I never had any issues with it. Funnily enough, I still have PC-cillin v3 on a CD that came with a magazine. That's well old now.

As to right-clicking a file to scan it, I was never able to do that. I don't know if it's like this in the current version, but I used to be able to right-click a file, go to Properties, and there used to be an extra tab which was the resident scanner.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i use to have my trend set on highest settings with everything enabled, and have never had any problems accessing 'anything'.

as for trends detection, if you go off av-test.org's, i think 93% is pretty pleasing.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, im giving it a little test, see how it performs when compared to others.

ive noticed the vista version does NOT have a right click > scan for viruses etc, and also i could not find a scan, that will scan certain folders, im sure the XP version had this.

19. midway40

DVD+R: I do have chat monitor on. Did you try it on and off?

Sasa843: It is version 15.30.1151

I emailed TM last night concerning the lack of Quick Scan and Right Click Scan. Hope to hear from them soon.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have a few samples which on access by trend, will crash and turn off the antivirus software, they are of the -same kind and have been sent to trend for fixing :)

21. madaro

madaro Guest

Appreciate everyone's input, but I'm going to continue using NOD32.

22. midway40

I got a response back from TM. Apparently Quick Scan and Right Click Scan are "product limitations" and they will consider what I sent as a feature request.

Oh, well. This will hold me over until F-Secure comes out with 2nd Edition (Vista-compatible) I believe it is in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.