Trend-Micro questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ajcstr, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

I have 3 questions for Trend Micro Internet Security users (I currently use Norton) - please feel free to answer one or two if you don't have all the answers:

1) if used on a laptop, can the Trend Micro firewall detect a new wireless network and allow you to configure access?

2) is it difficult to use the firewall when accessing a work environment that uses VPN?

3) can you specify IP addresses to allow from within the firewall?

Thanks,
    AJ

PS - I have heard thet there are general security issues with the firewall - can anyone elaborate?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi ajcstr,

I use PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 on a WinXP Pro SP2 system.

I don't use a laptop, or employ VPN so no comment on questions 1), 2), however, they do have Wi-Fi Detection (not enabled in my situation), and the capability has a check box to find connected computers.

With regard to your third question, I know that there is a URL filter for blocking web addresses which has an exception list which I think can specify IP addresses to allow from within the firewall.

It works like this:
    Check the box: Enable URL filtering
    Select either:
    Block access to all URLs, except those on the Exception list
    Allow access to all URLs, except those on the Exception list

There is also a check box to Block (20) predefined URL categories:

For the Exception List, there are tabs for:
    Approved URLs - always accessible
    Blocked URLs - always blocked

With regard to general security issues, I have queried Trend Micro in the past with my concerns about its firewall capabilities like those that are tested at firewallleaktester.com. Trend Micro's response IMO indicated they regarded their firewall as "lightweight" is the word that comes to mind from my impression - at least in terms of PC-Cillin's personal firewall compared to other more elaborate firewalls with extended capabilities found in HIPS, etc.

I also use ZoneAlarm Free for outbound notifications (no conflict between the two firewalls).

You can search for more information on Trend Micro's Knowledge Base at:
    http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/default.asp

Hope this helps,

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.